General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

disappointed in my blazer...

Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member
hasek1616 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Red 96'
No, the G80 was included in the ZR2's and was an available option for all other Blazers. Your best bet would be to try and find somebody parting out a ZR2 or find one at a junkyard and pull the axle, or just the carrier itself
well i checked on zr2 axle | eBay and there are quite a few axles that say they're for a zr2, but they only have them for a 1998 blazer at the latest, any possible fitment issues?

how about one of these? looks like it would be perfect GM 7.5 7.625 10 BOLT POSI 28 SPLINE 3 SER AUBURN GEAR CAMARO FIREBIRD S10 BLAZER | eBay

Last edited by swartlkk; 09-20-2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:41 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about those axles from eBay, although the last one you posted appears to be what your looking for. Someone else can probably answer that question better.

As for determining what gear ratio you have, Kyle posted a link in the Tech Article section to a VIN decoder that will tell you everything in your truck from factory. The most common gear ratio's for regular Blazers are 3.42 (RPO GU6) and for ZR2s is 3.73 (RPO GT4). I replaced my rear axle and front diff with ones from a ZR2 to get the lower gears and G80 locking diff. Its a bit of work but if you have the time and inclination its definately doable. For me it was worth the effort.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:48 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hasek1616
its not just driving style, i did just fine in the ranger
I never said it was "just" driving style, only that it's a big factor.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Isn't the ZR2 axle a few inches wider than a regular Blazer? I know that would be an issue here in MA with inspections, due to the tires coming out of the wheel well. They'll fail you for less than that here ...

Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

FIRST before you go swapping axles and tires, you need to make sure your 4x4 is working properly. Make sure the t-case is engaging and the front axle is locking. It's not uncommon to find that there's a bad vacuum line to the t-case actuator, meaning the front axle isn't locking properly.

I've found that my Jimmy is pretty good at getting through some rough stuff. Like things you wouldn't think it could get through. Even with an open rear.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Isn't the ZR2 axle a few inches wider than a regular Blazer? I know that would be an issue here in MA with inspections, due to the tires coming out of the wheel well. They'll fail you for less than that here ...
the rear tires seem to be pretty well inside the fenderwell, so even if it is a bit wider i think i'll be alright

Originally Posted by 91chevywt
FIRST before you go swapping axles and tires, you need to make sure your 4x4 is working properly. Make sure the t-case is engaging and the front axle is locking. It's not uncommon to find that there's a bad vacuum line to the t-case actuator, meaning the front axle isn't locking properly.

I've found that my Jimmy is pretty good at getting through some rough stuff. Like things you wouldn't think it could get through. Even with an open rear.
any test i could do to check this? i already tried getting barely any weight on 2 diagonal tires, but it didnt give me a good result

Last edited by swartlkk; 09-20-2011 at 04:50 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the multi-quote feature to respond to quote multiple people in one post.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:45 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Take a buddy with you onto a dirt road. Have him stay outside the truck while you toss it in four wheel and mash the gas. If the front tires spin, your 4 wheel works.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Get the front end in the air, run the truck for a few minutes, shut it off, turn the key on but DON'T start it, throw it in 4x4, then try to spin either front wheel. Should be tough to spin one of the wheels, especially with the rears on the ground. Then try to spin the front driveshaft if the wheel test doesn't tell you anything (sometimes they both will turn due to the open diff). In 2wd it should release the driveshaft & spin freely. If it spins freely in 4x4, you either have a vacuum leak, a leaky actuator, or a bad t-case vacuum switch.

TheRandom1's test is quicker though.

Last edited by Smitty Smithsonite; 09-20-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:40 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

personally i think the best option would be to go to the junk yard and look in the glove boxes of all the blazers and look for the same ratio code you have and for the G80 code.
here are the codes and what they mean.
g80 is locker
Gu6 is 3.42
Gt4 is 3.73
Gt5 is 4.10

personally i guess i got lucky and i have the the Gt4 G80 in my 4dr blazer.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
personally i think the best option would be to go to the junk yard and look in the glove boxes of all the blazers and look for the same ratio code you have and for the G80 code.
here are the codes and what they mean.
g80 is locker
Gu6 is 3.42
Gt4 is 3.73
Gt5 is 4.10

personally i guess i got lucky and i have the the Gt4 G80 in my 4dr blazer.
so if i just pin it on say wet grass and if one of the front wheels spin then im good, but if neither of them do then my 4wd doesn't work? and btw, how do you like your flowmaster super 40? i've been looking at picking one up

Search this Thread