General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How long have you had and how much have you put into your blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:17 PM
salmonsub is on a distinguished road
Default How long have you had your Blazer

I bought my 2002 Blazer Feb 2002. It has served well but last year, while replacing brake lines & calipers I decided It had made it's final west coast run.
Went to Chevy dealer, told them what I wanted. Now my road trip ride is 2017 Tahoe LT 4X4, has 20,000 miles on It already.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 AM
Beginning Member
Jimmy4x4 is on a distinguished road

We've had our 2000 Jimmy since 2005. Bought it with 59K on the clock, and it now has 144K. It's the wife's daily driver, and she loves it, so I just keep fixing anything that goes wrong with it. New transmission, new radiator, new bushings and shocks, and now a new - well, remanufactured - motor.

When I blew the old motor - my own dumb fault, don't ask - I decided it was time to put my wife into something new. Took her to the dealership to drive a GMC Terrain SLT. No dice. She HATED it. Couldn't see out of it due to the high beltline and thick roof pillars, couldn't create a flat cargo floor with the back seat folded down, etc. I suggested a couple other replacement vehicles. No dice. She cried and said she wanted her Jimmy back again, so that's what she got.

I paid about $9K to purchase our Jimmy back in 2005, and have easily put twice that much into it since that time for maintenance, repairs, and upgrades (fresh paint, leather upholstery, upgraded audio components, etc. My wife better really love the thing, because I'm probably going have to bury her in it.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
wokeupgrumpy is on a distinguished road
Default 98 lt

2 years come July. Had 131K on it when I got it. 142K now. Was just supposed to just be a backup/tow vehicle but has become my daily driver. A/C wasnt working when I got it. PO replaced the compressor etc and left the orifice out. $115 and you can hang meat in there now. Fuel pump, new front rotors, new pads front and rear. Intake gaskets, oil cooler lines, upper front suspension parts, front shocks, Pioneer stereo and Curt receiver hitch. Next up, cruise control/turn signal switch and air shocks for the rear.

Last edited by wokeupgrumpy; 03-31-2018 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Soelling
Old 05-26-2018, 08:08 AM
jnybob is on a distinguished road

I haven't been here for a while. I bought my 02 S10 Blazer in 05 with about 45,000 miles on the odometer. Now she has 106,000 miles under her belt. I have replaced almost all the 4w drive electronics. We live on the NC coast, one mile from the Atlantic Ocean so rust is my big problem. I have a 4 inch hole in the roof that I have taped up. I have replaced 2 out of 4 window lift motors, and the other two,the drivers side door front and back door window motor is dead. I have just started to replace the front door motor, but I made an error. I removed the motor, leaving the regulator still attached, and it has pressure still on the regulator. Now, I can't get the regulator off. I will post the problem in the correct forum, maybe I can get some ideas on what to do. I have replaced all the brake lines from the wheel to the master, except the lines going to the ABS module, which is bad. The lines are so rusty, I am afraid I will break the line connections. The body has been almost completely painted, but with rust blocking primer. The rear lift gate switch has quit. She has a part time gas gauge. Only works some of the time. I just bought tires, first since i bought the Blazer. I can't remember how many times the drivers door panel has been patched together. I could go on, but I won't. Still, I love this vehicle. Wouldn't sell it. I do regular oil changes every three months. Every other tank of gas gets a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil. I am 66 years old, I am thinking about being buried in it along with my favorite fishing gear.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:31 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

A little over 4 years now

and I don't even want to begin to add up what I've put into her... BUT, it's cheaper than a monthly new vehicle payment so I'm not complaining!

Just before I brought her home

And how she sits now

Old 06-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Default 2002 S-19 Blazer SL

My blazer is a 2002 S-10 Blazer LS, 4 door, 4x4, 4.3 V-6, 106,000 actual miles. I bought it in 2004. I live one mile from the Atlantic Ocean, so rust and corrosion has been a problem. Soon after purchase, I had to replace all the 4 wheel drive electrical components. Then, one by one, I have replaced most of the electronics. I lost all my service records, but I believe I have spent about $2000 to $2500 plus the original purchase money. My latest repairs have been window lift motors and switches. They are failing one by one. My wife doesn't care for the Blazer, because I spend so much time working on it. I now use it mainly for surf fishing and for that purpose, it's a great vehicle.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:12 AM

Nice.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:04 PM
langss is on a distinguished road

I bought my 76 in 1984 and it was my daily driver until 1999. Its had 2 engines(waiting on a third)1 transmission,1 torque converter, 1 rear end, 2 sets of rear axles, and countless U-joints. Considering the abuse as a daily driver, and doing all my own maintenance, I think its cost to own and operate was a lot cheaper than a car would have been. Of course the rising cost of fuel was for the most part what ended its role as a daily driver, but if I didn't live in California, I know I could modify it and get a lot better than 10mpg.

Last edited by langss; 06-06-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
A little over 4 years now

and I don't even want to begin to add up what I've put into her... BUT, it's cheaper than a monthly new vehicle payment so I'm not complaining!

Just before I brought her home

And how she sits now

Beautiful Blazer! Looks like you put a lot of work into it. Nice job.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member
Mspeedfreak03 is on a distinguished road

I just bought mine for about 2 weeks and i bought her for 2k and spent another 1k on betsy, but no truck payment

list:
falken wildpeak tires (stock size 29")
K&N drop in
front brakes
2" wheel spacers (rear)
1.5" wheel spacers (front)
2" rear shackles
3rd brake light
drivers door hinge pins
window deflectors
weathertech floor matts (front and back seats)
kenwood head unit (wiring was jacket from previous owner)

i plan on spending roughly another 1k on getting betsy where i want her before hunting season, im daily driving her

next on the list:
02 sensor check engine light
LED light bar
E-Brake adjustment or replacing
minor exhaust leak
fuel gage jumping all over
recharge the A/C
raptor coating the lower body lines and bumpers

so for roughly 4k and some elbow grease i should have myself a nice reliable and daily driveable hunting/camping rig... id say not to shabby

Quick Reply: How long have you had and how much have you put into your blazer?