General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

How long have you had and how much have you put into your blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 02:57 AM
jnybob is on a distinguished road

Off to a good start. No truck payments is a good thing.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:22 AM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Paid $1000 for a 1996 4 door 4x4 jimmy 5 years ago have less than 1k in to it and it's never left me stranded yet.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:53 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
since, ive done:

the zr2 tire carrier, rear driveshaft/u-joint/yoke, front speakers and took out the stock cd player and put a usb/sd/aux/radio in, fuel pump, driver and passenger(2nd time) hubs.
update:
-s10 offsets are now winter rims and have a set of 80s Camaro rims as summers.
-2.5 RC lift
-3" add a lead in the rear
- all front end components less LCA
-newer used rad
-1.5 spacers on rear.

edit: forgot to add shes around 312000km now

Old 01-11-2019, 12:48 AM
Starting Member
03LS_schieb is on a distinguished road

I got my 2003 ls 2door 2 years ago. It's been in the family for about 7 years total. I got it from my dad with 84k and some change. Now, it's up at 96k. I've put about 500 total into it. New brakes, rotors, and calipers. Brand new fuel pump too. I've bought new plugs, wires, CV shafts. I've also gotten a new water pump, away bar links, PCV seloniod, window shocks, rear shocks all given to me from some people who had extras. It has its dents, dings, and scratches, but she's a keeper. This blazer will last me a lifetime; especially with the low miles it has.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member
9702BlazerStyle is on a distinguished road

Had my 2002 for about a week now. Put just over 200 miles on it, oil and filter change, Wipers and air filter so far. Still want to get a new selector switch for the 4wd, trans fluid and filter and plugs. I also need to give her a bath, the snowy salt roads are doing a number on her paint. I'll get pics up tomorrow I think.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 PM
roadkillracer is on a distinguished road

G'day, My first Blazer was a 1971 purchased in 1987. I drove it home from Minnesota, rust and all, for $1500. The body was not touched other than adding a 1970 grill with the turn signals and some bumpers my dad made for it. Bumpers were 3/8 plate and extremely heavy.

The chassis had a 6 inch Rancho lift with quad shocks on the front with our home made 4 inch lift with a traction lift. I believe the traction lift was Rugged Trail. The front differential was a corporate 10 bolt with 3.73 gears with a z-spring posi unit from a Z28 Camaro. Rear differential was a one ton unit with a Detroit locker. We went through the original 205 transfer case and went with a turbo 350 with a hd sprague and blue clutches.

The engine was the real treat though. We built a 4 bolt 406 with flat tops and big chamber L82 Corvette heads. Compression was around 10.0 and with the bigger valves it seemed to breath well. We also used our first set of roller rockers in it. We topped it off with an Edelbrock Performer and a 1000 CFM injection system. The truck was a beast and probably the most fun truck we ever built.

If you notice this is all written in past tense. We had a major flood here in 1997. We could only get so many of our vehicles out and the Blazer was left behind. We had to part it out when we got back in after the flood. The flood destroyed and damaged a lot of rare vehicles including three COPO Camaros so my losses were much less than a lot of people. I probably had about 10K into the truck and recovered half of it.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 AM
Blue Ox is on a distinguished road

Just took delivery. Blue 2019 RS. Adding clear bra next week across the front. A lot of winter trips over snowy mountain passes.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:08 PM
Beginning Member
Jaylo is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 Chevy S10 with Trailblzer pkg

Originally Posted by 88s10Blazer
I bought mine November '09 with 117k miles. Now it has 135k.

Both wheel bearings
Both front rotors
All 4 ball joints
Tie rod ends
Plugs and wires
Door hing pins on both front doors
Brake pads
Drivers door panel
2 stock speakers blew
Rear hatch glass(defrost broke)
I'm sure I'm missing something.

And now the heater core is shot and everything rattles and squeaks(as usual)

So how long have you had your blazer and what do you have to do to keep it on the road. I know most of this is just regular maintenance, but it all seemed to happen at the same time. But the motor runs like a champ, always good oil pressure, after tune up it hasn't skipped a beat, not a thing wrong with it drivetrain wise.
I’ve had 1999 S10 Trailblazer for over 3 Years. It has nice higher quality Leather interior. Only 130k at the time. What replacement parts it needed when I purchased it. A/C, which I changed out with new a/c compressor and needed components ( after market), actually, a novice mechanic could change most a/c parts on this vehicle...YouTube is a great resource). Right front cv shaft, front stabilizers, a/c actuator blend door, tune-up and all fluid changes. Most work I did myself. Now at 170k and ran well from Middle TN to South TX. In TX ran most of the way 80 + mph. Did well. The best things I like about the Blazer is the low gas mileage but high performance 4.3 L engine and the heavy duty solid transmission (if pms are done on them regularly). Everything else is low integrity body and interior parts (except leather interior).This will be my last Chevy product. Switching to Toyota, Honda, ....

Last edited by Jaylo; 06-24-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:03 PM
Beginning Member
maryoka is on a distinguished road
Default What I fixed

I have had the back brakes fixed very costly. Had them disconnect the fuse for the ABM because would go on all the time under 5 miles per hour. Had new back end put on the guy put a Jeep back end on it. Had some front end work but I know it needs a tie rod and ball joints. I just had it towed home as started thumping sound very loud was afraid the ball joints or tie rods were breaking at that time not taking any chance. Other things done do not remember all of it was a lot.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:21 PM
jayblazerking is on a distinguished road

New member here. Found this forum on a whim while I was researching some information.

I originally bought my 2001 Blazer in 2007 for $3,200

It had 72k on it and came fully loaded with heated, power, leather, Sunroof, and memory seats.

This was the first car I bought and still use it as a daily driver.

Today, the car has 131k on it. (Car sat in storage while i was in the service.)

The car was neglected over the last few years and due to harsh New England winters, it took a beating. Also didn’t help when I was younger, used to take it off jumps in a gravel pit.

To this day it is an active project; so far I have replaced:

Front and rear shocks (Bilsteins, 24-014120 / 24-014137)
IAC (217-435/AC Delco)
EGR (214-1080/AC Delco w/VG57, Standard Motor Products EGR Valve Gasket)
Headlamp/Fog Light Switch (D1530G/AC Delco)
Upper Control Arms (CK620173 & CK620172/ MOOG)
Idler Arm (K6251T/MOOG)
Pitman Arm (K6255/MOOG)
Tie Rods (ES3462 & ES3584/MOOG)
Front Sway Links (K700526/MOOG)
Rear Sway Links (K80849/MOOG)
Fuel Tank Cap (GT261/AC Delco)
Exhaust (19331/DynoMax)
Radiator Support Mounts (924-139/Dorman)
TCCM (599-102/Dorman)
Blower Motor (15-80173/AC Delco)
Rear Windshield Wiper Motor (85-1005/Cardone)
Rear U-joint (534G/MOOG)
Filler Neck (FN738/Spectra)
MAF (213-3458/AC Delco)
ABS Control Module (599-710/Dorman)
TPS (213-912/AC Delco)
Front Sway Bar Bushings (9.5173R/Energy Suspension)
RH PASS Rocker Panel (found on eBay)
Both Fenders (both rotted out, found two on eBay same color)
Rear Lift Gate Struts (WGS-180-2/Wisconsin Auto Supply)
VSS (19302667/AC Delco)
Center Console (found at junkyard)
LH Power/Heated Mirror (junkyard)
Brake Lines
Fuel Lines
K&N Cold Air Intake
Dash (replaced with Double DIN Dash, Found of eBay)
Motor Mounts
Left CV Axle
Upper and lower ball joints (MOOG)
All Vacuum Lines Redone

AC no longer works, next project.

Mind you all of these components were mostly original up until last-this year after many many years of abuse and neglect.

have started taking Blazer to RustCheck along with spraying with Fluid Film.

My advice, always go with GM original parts when it comes to sensors. I bought a BlueDriver scan tool, which surprisingly reads ALL module codes. Also, a lot of the times it will NOT pop CEL.
Harbor Freight has been a life saver as well when it comes to tools. Between local hardware stores, Amazon, Summit Racing, RockAuto, and eBay - you can rebuild for pennies on the dollar. (Still cheaper than making car payments.)

After many years of taking it various "mechanics" who would tell me that they couldn't figure what was wrong or that "it's just an old car", I researched online and read the Haynes Manual.

Long live the Blazer!

Last edited by jayblazerking; 07-18-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: How long have you had and how much have you put into your blazer?