General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Invalid vin??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Invalid vin??????

so i bought the k5 today and got the vin # over the phone so i could get a basic fire and theft insurance on it. he said it was: 1GAEK18C1CF145631
which comes up as an invalid vin on almost every vin decoder.
it gives the closest one as this: 1G8EK18C1CF145631
Which comes up as an 82 6.2L diesel

the one i bought is an 82 350.
do you think there was a swap out and he just mistook the A for an 8?
so what do i got?

Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Ask him to take a pic of the VIN and e-mail it to ya.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

im going tomorrow to pick it up so ill check then, but before that i got to get insurance so they're gonna be confused

Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i know you're off-line right now, but i hope you check this out before you go get this truck.

i'd verify the VIN with your insurance company BEFORE any money changes hands.

meaning, when you get there, inform the guy exactly what you're planing to do, take your cell and call them up (even call your broker 1st thing in the morning to give her a heads up-especially if it's a large company you deal with), have them verify the VIN comes up correct-and don't just say the letter use "Alpha" for "A", "Bravo" for "B", etc, etc. that way there is less chance for a mix up.

i've called my broker from where i was picking up a vehicle (kinda the same situation, but not quite), and she processed it on the spot, no problem.

and i wouldn't worry about heat from any "cop stops" going home, they all have computers in their cars, they'll be able to verify if a vehicle has valid coverages or not.

GL tomorrow, keep us posted with a few pic's of your new ride.

on a side note, it woulda been nice if it was a 6.2, not a 350 truck.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

well i got her home with major problems, she wont move got another thread up for it, hope to have pics and video, she sounds bad ***, but isn't right now cause she wont move

Old 02-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta love when advice is ignored. I can't believe you paid $2k for that...

Good luck with that BASKET CASE!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:35 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Oh well..if you got the money it makes for an interesting project.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:43 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if you like throwing your money away, I guess you are right. Just means less money for the actual project. If that is going to be your approach to getting this thing fixed up properly... This will be the longest and most expensive K5 project ever created!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:03 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Well if you have the money to waste on buying a 2k hunk of metal I like to think you don't mind throwing it away at an expensive k5 project lol.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

got it moving tonight, $500 for floor paneling, $500 for interior, $300 for gaskets and parts