General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

my tranny went kaput!

Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default my tranny went kaput!

Wasn't aware I had a leak until it was too late. The fluid ran out or extremely low on the way to work this morning, I went to go accelerate and the rpms went cuckoo and it wouldnt shift into 2nd. I got to work (I was only a couple blocks away) and realized I have no reverse. I had to roll it into my parking spot lol. So I checked the fluid, saw it was empty, and went after work and bought some (i work next door to a pep boys). I dumped in two quarts and a quart of leak fix fluid. I drove home and it shifts hard into second, i have to accelerate to 25mph, take my foot off the gas, and it shifts hard. I can then accelerate to a cruising speed. I have a feeling I am going to need a rebuild....i was thinking about buying a used or rebuilt and having a couple friends help me put it in, but i was reading online people saying having the one on thetruck rebuilt is much better than getting another transmission. I'm going to see tomorrow what my mechanic says....he's usually pretty reliable and will tell me exactly what it'll be and doesnt beat around the bush.

Apparently i hear this is a common problem with chevy transmission.....specifically the 4L60 transmissions.......something about a sunshell gear or something being thin and brittle.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

a broke sunshell will take away 2nd, 4th and Reverse usually.

It honestly sounds like it ran dry,and just burned up the clutch disks. time to rebuild!

Old 09-15-2013, 01:41 AM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Well I have no reverse at all.....and although it shifts into 2nd, I have to accelrate to 25mph and lift my foot off the gas in order for it to shift, and it kicks when it does. I feel like I am driving a manual shift lol. I'm looking into a rebuild.......getting an estimate tomorrow. I was weighing my options and a rebuild seems the best idea, I've replaced everything else but the engine lol.