General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

new name for the bravada..*MONEY PIT*

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default new name for the bravada..*MONEY PIT*

MONEY PIT
well the name change is due to the fact that it is killing my wallet -_-.
As some of you might know i just had alot of $ worth of work done to the t-case and front drive shaft,that cost alot.Then upon a pick up/paying the garage,i am told by a mechanic that my driver side rear break pads are shot and its metal on metal..so i go spend more $ on some more pads.

I get out to my garage(30 miles away,theres more $ in gas) and get the busted *** driver side pads off(they were shot),get new ones on and go to compress the piston to get it on new pads..well per the course the damn piston on the caliper will not compress back in,i took an hr or so trying a few diff methods,even bent a clamp in the process(hope my dad can straiten it..ooops xD)..in the end it took taking the flex line off the caliper and putting it in a bench vice and (w/ a busted pad on the piston) and a 2 ft pipe on the vice handle(ik i need to work out..had to bust out the mechanical leverage lol) anyway that finally compressed the piston and get my breaks all done..pass side was easy..and i told my dad,he says the caliper is shot i need a new one.

so i mean im lookin at this in terms of $ now..thats 950 for a tranny fix,745 for a t-case/front shaft fix,prolly estimated 150 for breaks(future comein up work included),prolly 200 for misc motor stuff(plugs,wires,cap/rotor,sensors etc),100 for a muffler..thats all est $2145 for the stuff off the top of my head and for an suv worth maybe 2500-3k...idk if the constant hemorrhaging of money from my wallet is worth keeping it..i love it,but its issue after issue -_-..ik this question isnt new either..but its gotta stop some were..oh well thats its name change

Last edited by 97Bravada; 08-01-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:15 AM
amerilawn is on a distinguished road

I hear ya. All the vehicles I own are older and have high miles. Seems like things go wrong in bunches and I wonder why I keep this old junk-LOL. Then I remember........... I can't afford a new truck.

Sounds like you have done so much already it wouldn't be worth getting rid of it. I have done that a few times before. Replacing a bunch of stuff then getting frustrated and selling it only to turn around and buy something else that ends up needing stuff too.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by amerilawn
I hear ya. All the vehicles I own are older and have high miles. Seems like things go wrong in bunches and I wonder why I keep this old junk-LOL. Then I remember........... I can't afford a new truck.

Sounds like you have done so much already it wouldn't be worth getting rid of it. I have done that a few times before. Replacing a bunch of stuff then getting frustrated and selling it only to turn around and buy something else that ends up needing stuff too.
thats the reason i keep it as of now,anything else id get is gonna need somethin as well and least the bravada ik whats been done so as much as it annoys me to fix imma do it.. plus winters come'n in 2 months so even if i bought a diff car id still have to think bout winter driving..granted a fwd cavalier was the best snow driver i had..but the awd certainly helps alot and has gotten me thru deep snow.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

It seems like you either buy new cars and pay big payments or buy an old car and fix crap. I personally like the old car idea better because 90% of the new cars look like crap.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member
hemivette is on a distinguished road

I buy a lot of my parts from "Pull A Part", maybe I have to much time on my hands but I am there probabley 4 or 5 hours a week harvesting Parts. And because of the year and miles you can find a lot of new parts on wrecked vehicles, and at $8.50 for an alternator, compared to $150 plus!!! Ive got 2 on the shelf! I just keep my eyes open for items that are possible problems and grab them before I need them. I don't really like CV joints, or anything that gets a lot of wear, but if you keep your eyes open, you would be suprised what you'll find. I got a GM rebuilt tranny, 1 year old, for $50.