General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Remote start questions

Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 PM
IanD is on a distinguished road
Question

Hey everyone,

I bought a new Viper 5101 remote start / keyless entry recently and was looking to get it installed, so I went over to the local auto shop and the guy told me it was around 300 to install anyway I told him that I have a 2000 s10 blazer and he said that it was so expensive because he had to buy a bypass module which was 90 and so on and so on. Correct me if I am wrong but, isn't the bypass module for a vehicle with a security system already installed? I don't know if this guy is trying to rip me off or what, because yesterday I called and some other guy told me it was 150 to install after telling him all of my trucks information and then I go there today to have some other guy tell me it's 300 because he has to buy a bypass module. Can somebody help me out on this? Is this guy trying to rip me off or do I really need to buy a bypass module?

I also don't have a keyfob, just a standard key which is another reason why I was wondering if what the guy was saying was just BS

Old 05-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your truck requires a Passlock bypass module, that is true. You can look it up on any one of the remote start manufacturer websites.

I install a remote start & separate bypass module myself in my old Rainier. I used a Fortin INT-SL bypass and it worked very well.

Fortin's website shows the INT-SL+ as compatible with your truck for both passlock bypass & tachometer pass-thru to the remote start module which will help with the install. It will be one less wire you'll have to pull through the firewall anyway. They can be picked up on eBay for $45.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:48 PM

Okay, thanks. That was the model I was planning on purchasing. Was the install hard at all? I want to get it professionally installed but I only have so much - working for 7.25 an hour.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I decided I wasn't going to do it again after my Rainier and bought a package deal from a local Compustar installer which was worth the additional expense IMO. It was one of those things I had to prove to myself that it was either worth it to do myself or it wasn't.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

I have an 02 Blazer and I didn't need the by pass in my car. If there is a Best Buy they will charge you $140 for the extra parts. Their install is like $150ish but that is already built into the price of the core remote start. I would recomemend a Compustar over a Viper anyday of the week. If you wanted to go w/ the phone app version, then the Viper is better b/c you can use a key fab w/ it and Compustar you can't.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Administrator

One thing to remember is that not all remote starters are created equal. Many of the newer Compustar RS units have a built in bypass. So to clarify your statement, your truck didn't require a separate bypass when using a Compustar RS.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
One thing to remember is that not all remote starters are created equal. Many of the newer Compustar RS units have a built in bypass. So to clarify your statement, your truck didn't require a separate bypass when using a Compustar RS.
Actually I sell them so I know what I had installed. I had my Compustar remote start brain wired up to my Viper security. If you need the bypass it is called a Blade and that is the $100 part and sold separately.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Administrator

A 2002 Blazer still uses Passlock. The likely situation is that your Viper system was already bypassing the passlock system.

And thank you for correcting my mistake about the Compustar RS units & the Blade add-on bypass. I knew of the Blade, but wasn't clear that it was a bypass only nor did I have the time to dig into it before posting. I have a CM6200 with a Blade-AL in my Tahoe and have been happy with it for the most part. One thing I can say for sure not to do and that is do NOT get your remote wet. The truck will FREAK out!!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 PM

Thanks for your help, I went ahead and ordered the Fortin INT-SL+ and when that comes in and I get everything installed I will let everyone know.