General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

so heres whats wrong that you can see...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
The tranny can't be too bad if your smoking tires. The 98 I just bought needed some repairs but I figured it would, So I'm just fixing it up as a long time keeper. Anything is repairable if you want to put in the time & effort or pay someone to fix it. In my case I do some stuff & pay to have some stuff done.
Itll light the tires but whenever you go FOT, it acts like it cant grab the next gear. Almost as if it goes to neutral. But if I dont floor it, itll grab the next gear and go. And its got a bad seal around the tail end of the transmission. Id like to keep this Blazer and fix it up back to the way its supposed to be. But I dont know if I have the money to fix it all. So I guess Ill start fixing the little things first and see from there. I tore into the front end tonight to try and see if the 4wd could be fixed but I couldnt see what was wrong. I pulled the part where the cable goes into the diff and it all works like it should. So its gotta be inside the diff. Ill tear into it tomorrow to see if I cant firgure it out. This really would be a nice Blazer if it was worked on the way it was supposed to have been. Ugh, this is why if I cant fix it myself, I take it to someone who can do it right.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

By working just fine do you mean you can push the 4x4 button and it will move the cable. when the engine is on of course.

If it doesnt move at all then theres a problem with the vacuum

Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Well a seized cable can prevent the front diffy to lock also

Just a thought

Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
By working just fine do you mean you can push the 4x4 button and it will move the cable. when the engine is on of course.

If it doesnt move at all then theres a problem with the vacuum
The cable moves just like its supposed to. So its gotta be inside the diff. Or another thing I guess is what if the cv axles are bad. Kinda like on a FWD. Everything will work perfectly but if the cv axle is bad, then it wont move?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Starting Member

So I went and took the driver side tire off with the 4wd engaged. The t-case locked and I tried to spin the front drive line while it was in park and it wont spin. So I took the tire off and looked at the CV axle and its good. So the only thing I can think of its either the other cv axle or its inside the front diff.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I say the fronts not engaging ... if you pull the cable about an inch or 2 it should lock its self

Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
I say the fronts not engaging ... if you pull the cable about an inch or 2 it should lock its self
Where can I pull it at? At the vacuum actuator or is there a different spot?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
BF Guru

by the actuator

Unless the clip inside the diff released its self ...

if the cables hard to pull id replace it
if not take the 3 bolts off the diffy where the cable attaches too and then check it from there

Edit: this should help you

frontaxel4X4.pdf

Old 04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
by the actuator

Unless the clip inside the diff released its self ...

if the cables hard to pull id replace it
if not take the 3 bolts off the diffy where the cable attaches too and then check it from there

Edit: this should help you

frontaxel4X4.pdf
Ok so I went out and pulled the cable. I can only pull it about half to 3/4s of an inch before it stops. But the whole time, I can hear it locking the front end while I pull it back and forth.