General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 10:56 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
You know I've heard of the "upgraded" gaskets, never knew what the difference was though... Never thought to ask for them at the parts store, and was never offered anything different...

The ones I installed back then were the plastic gaskets, and the new ones I have now, are plastic...

Well, your original plastic gaskets lasted this long so they should last about the same amount of time so you are probably fine.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:27 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Well, your original plastic gaskets lasted this long so they should last about the same amount of time so you are probably fine.
?????

Old 08-22-2020, 06:47 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Didn't get to finish my intake gasket job today. Worked from 5:00am to 1:00pm, and it was raining when I got home... so I took a nap lol

Old 08-23-2020, 10:27 AM

Well I done f-ed up now...

The heater hose fitting by the thermostat housing that was screwed into my replacement manifold had too small of a barb to go onto the Blazer's heater hose. The intake might have came off a Silverado or a van, I'm not really sure. But the fitting just unscrews.

I pulled the original one out of the old manifold, cleaned it up a little, put on some thread tape, and proceeded to thread it into place.

I guess I put a little too much torque into it... I was just about to the point where it felt comfortably tight, and then I heard a "pop" and the fitting loosened up...

Split my damn replacement intake at the threaded boss...

soooooo, the Blazer is down until I can source another one...

Old 08-23-2020, 11:06 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

The heater hose fitting by the thermostat housing that was screwed into my replacement manifold had too small of a barb to go onto the Blazer's heater hose. The intake might have came off a Silverado or a van, I'm not really sure. But the fitting just unscrews.

I pulled the original one out of the old manifold, cleaned it up a little, put on some thread tape, and proceeded to thread it into place.

I guess I put a little too much torque into it... I was just about to the point where it felt comfortably tight, and then I heard a "pop" and the fitting loosened up...

Ouch, damn that stinks. Look at it this way, it’s always a good excuse to get the better intake gaskets.

Do you have any friends with a TIG? I bet it would be an easy fix

Old 08-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Hadyss is on a distinguished road

I have one where abouts are you located

Old 08-23-2020, 11:52 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I did that to a brand new Edelbrock intake manifold years ago. It was an expensive lesson.

FWIW, I think teflon tape has more of a tendency to do that than pipe dope or other sealants.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:29 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

I continues working on the reassembly of the truck after changing the time cover,. timing chain and motor mounts,

Got the the front diff in and CV shafts set. Built the new tie rods to match the old ones as best I could.

The mount that goes on the lower diff mount was not taking a bolt very well so I went to the pick and pull to get one. Kept the aluminum cover I had to remove and got everything including a new battery bolt down bolt for $5.99.
Earlier in the day I had gotten the center link in and hung the steering knuckles with new wheel hubs.
The passenger side went together went out too much difficulty but the driver's side with the new CV shaft wouldn't line as the CV shaft seemed to long. After pulling out and comparing it to the old pieces it appeared be too long.

Found a measurement for the collapsed length and the shaft wouldn't collapse. Guess the steering knuckle pulled the rear CV joint apart and wouldn't collapse. Rotated the cup and it collapsed now everything fits so 2 hours later I am done.

The tie rods seemed to be off with the driver side too long and the passenger side too short. So I cranked the wheel one more turn and everything dropped in. Called it a day after that with 90+ temps and killer mosquitoes.

Tomorrow reassemble the brakes and change the driver's side valve cover then the truck is off to the shop for a CASE relearn and alignment.

Could have pushed thru but not worth the extra time and frustration.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:26 PM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road

I did my weekly fluid and tire pressure check. One tire is a little low but other than that everything checks out.

Regards

Old 08-24-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hadyss
I have one where abouts are you located
North Florida, a little ways from you it looks like lol

I'm hoping I can source one by the end of the week here locally to me. From what I gather they're the same (without EGR) from 2003 all the way up into 2014 in the 1500 Silverado and Vans with the 4.3, so there's plenty of a year gap for possibilities. Considering I work in a salvage yard, chances are good that I'll be tripping over them by the week's end lol

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?