General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 08:39 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Well since I'm driving the wife's 2000 blazer and she takes the 2005 TB I went and took those damn useless roof racks off. I have ever since my first blazer. I hate them. I like the cleaner look. Besides it's easier to clean. We had some issues when we bought it but it seems the last o2 sensor replace has worked and its driving fine. So I'm going to start looking into cleaning it up. Starting with fixing the messed up driver door. Already replaced the hinge and now the door panel.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:42 PM

Oh and the day after we bought the TB (two weeks ago) I went to open the window on the hatch and the third break light fell out. I didn't realize it and when I closed the window the breaklight jammed and totally shattered the valance above the window. Had to go to a junk lot and get a valance with the light so I could get it inspected. Again plastics in the Texas heat.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:13 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

New Load carrier shocks, the difference is insane.

Old 09-19-2021, 09:54 AM
Beginning Member
Nyccooldude is on a distinguished road
Default A $hit ton

Hey guys, long time no see. So I recently grabbed a 03 blazer ls 4x4 with so many issues. 1st thing, passenger side fron CV axle, kept getting stuck. 2nd, driver door latch assembly. 3rd, both down stream o2 sensors, wasn't fun at all!!! 4th front brakes and rotors. 5th, brake lines. 6th, abs module and master cylinder. 7th, trailer hitch. Than I painted the under body with some rust prevention pain.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:13 AM

Since I wasn't worried about long term driving of Saphire I didn't do some of my regular repairs when I got it. One was that I only replaced 5 of the six spark plugs. Guess which one I didn't replace. Well since we got it it was giving a code 0420. O2 sensor bank 1. So last week I replaced it. It seemed to be doing good. Got the gas milage back up to 20mpg. But last night, driving to our daughter's the light came on. So when we got home I checked it. Hmm no o2 code. instead 0303. Misfire on cylinder 3. Guess which one that is???? So gonna have to wrangle around the steering column and replace that plug today. Still need to fix the driver door. But if this ends the engine issues we might end up keeping it for a while. Saphire was supposed to be a temp beater until we saved up enough to get a new one. Well we got the TB but now we might keep the blazer too. I've been driving it and aside from a bouncy tire it runs fairly good now. First time we've had actually 2 vehicles at the same time with working A/C.

Old 09-21-2021, 04:24 AM
Beginning Member
Nyccooldude is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cage47
Since I wasn't worried about long term driving of Saphire I didn't do some of my regular repairs when I got it. One was that I only replaced 5 of the six spark plugs. Guess which one I didn't replace. Well since we got it it was giving a code 0420. O2 sensor bank 1. So last week I replaced it. It seemed to be doing good. Got the gas milage back up to 20mpg. But last night, driving to our daughter's the light came on. So when we got home I checked it. Hmm no o2 code. instead 0303. Misfire on cylinder 3. Guess which one that is???? So gonna have to wrangle around the steering column and replace that plug today. Still need to fix the driver door. But if this ends the engine issues we might end up keeping it for a while. Saphire was supposed to be a temp beater until we saved up enough to get a new one. Well we got the TB but now we might keep the blazer too. I've been driving it and aside from a bouncy tire it runs fairly good now. First time we've had actually 2 vehicles at the same time with working A/C.
I found that if you use a spark plug socket with a 3/4 end and a 3/4 wrench the #3 plug comes off without having to summon the gods to help.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:00 PM
Starting Member
Franco is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cage47
Misfire on cylinder 3. Guess which one that is???? So gonna have to wrangle around the steering column and replace that plug today.
Jack up driver's side front, take off wheel, and go in through wheel well. Slide plastic cover up on steering shaft to reveal nylon coupling, turn steering wheel so flat spot on coupling aligns with plug. Spark plug socket on long extension will go right in...

Have fun!

Old 10-04-2021, 05:08 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Upper Control Arm bushings Replaced.

As the title says I replaced the upper control arm bushings on both sides on my 2000 GMC Jimmy. AWD/4WD I made a press using a short piece of 3/8 " threaded rod, a 2" dia X 3" long rigid conduit nipple. and I have a FWD Bearing removal set that I used a cap over the conduit nipple to act a the receiver cup. I used a bearing press fitting on the threaded rod to act as the press. A couple of 3/8 nuts and I had a press. The short piece of the rigid conduit fit over the installed bushing perfectly. on the control arm, My initial plan was to use my HF shop press but I could not get the control arm in the correct position to press out the bushings. I spent about $8,00 at Home Depot for the piece of conduit. Even with my home made bushing press it was still a pain in A&& to press the bushings in and out.

Homemade upper control arm bushing press. Using a piece of 2"X3" rigid conduit, threaded rod, bushing press and a cap from my FWD wheel bearing kit.

Last edited by mr.vls; 10-05-2021 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 10-05-2021, 08:04 AM

Nah. The plastic cover over teh coupling was busted from before we bought it so I took it off. It really wasn't hard to get the column off. Then the plug was a breeze. Didn't have to jack it up. Since then been driving with no issues. Gave her a wash, the tree crud was starting to bake on and having the roof racks off is always a help with that. So my next todo's are to go to the local pic a part lot and get a replacement driver door panel and a front valance. Mine is split along the license plate. It's obvious a previous owner bumped something on that side. That and the grill near the blinker above are busted. not bad but will want to replace them. And the driver door panel. It's busted to hell. Got self tappers in strategic places just to keep it secure and close the door. Whoever had this thing before me (bought it from a used car lot) absolutely abused it.

Old 10-16-2021, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by mr.vls
As the title says I replaced the upper control arm bushings on both sides on my 2000 GMC Jimmy. AWD/4WD I made a press using a short piece of 3/8 " threaded rod, a 2" dia X 3" long rigid conduit nipple. and I have a FWD Bearing removal set that I used a cap over the conduit nipple to act a the receiver cup. I used a bearing press fitting on the threaded rod to act as the press. A couple of 3/8 nuts and I had a press. The short piece of the rigid conduit fit over the installed bushing perfectly. on the control arm, My initial plan was to use my HF shop press but I could not get the control arm in the correct position to press out the bushings. I spent about $8,00 at Home Depot for the piece of conduit. Even with my home made bushing press it was still a pain in A&& to press the bushings in and out.

Homemade upper control arm bushing press. Using a piece of 2"X3" rigid conduit, threaded rod, bushing press and a cap from my FWD wheel bearing kit.
Yep. I've got a similar setup. Also with a 2" threaded nipple.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?