General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

That is SLICK!!!!

Thanks for shairing!

Old 08-12-2021, 04:16 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Janitor
Hello, I am new to this forum, but thought it would be useful to some that carry tools or things and just don't like them thrown in the floor or back. I have had tool boxes that just slide around, if not secured, when in the bed of my pickup, or such that extend across the bed rails taking up bed space. But I found that the swing case boxes that attach to the inner sides of the truck bed on a hinge to swing out to the back are useful for space saving and pretty durable for most tools and small item you don't want just laying lose.
So I thought why not in the back of my blazer instead of just a box or thrown back there. I took one from my truck bed and matched it to the inside right prefect. But swing case don't make them for SUVs, necessarily,. I found that the metal frame behind the plastic moldings in the rear of our blazers make suitable places to tap and hold the same way in most truck beds. So I took the frame hinge and latching bar mechanism from a 2017 f250 and matched them at the necessary height and depth to secure the box to swing. No relative mods to the interior of my blazer other than a 2x4 piece for more firming against the side wall. I only turned the rod latching mechanism on the frame bar from horizontal on the wall mount to vertical. Drilled in one self tapping screw in the frame bar to hold secure the latch.

For what model truck is the case? Also for a 2017 Ford F250? Or is the case one-size-fits-all with the differences being for the mounting brackets?

Old 08-12-2021, 10:38 PM
Janitor is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
For what model truck is the case? Also for a 2017 Ford F250? Or is the case one-size-fits-all with the differences being for the mounting brackets?
This one is for a f250, but really the case is the same size over all. But each truck application has a difference in attachment hardware. Some are one T piece and other have a bend at the hinge brace to conform to a particular truck bed bend at the tail gate edge.I looked at several for right hand side and the hardware, and just choose this one mostly because the hinge brace is straight with no bends, and in two individual pieces.
I got this one off ebay. You can see a variety of models there. All swing case boxes seem to be the same size, made primarily for fullsize truck beds to fit over the wheel well.

Last edited by Janitor; 08-12-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:50 PM
BF Veteran

This one is for a f250, but really the case is the same size over all. But each truck application has a difference in attachment hardware. Some are one T piece and other have a bend at the hinge brace to conform to a particular truck bed bend at the tail gate edge.I looked at several for right hand side and the hardware, and just choose this one mostly because the hinge brace is straight with no bends, and in two individual pieces.
I got this one off ebay. You can see a variety of models there. All swing case boxes seem to be the same size, made primarily for fullsize truck beds to fit over the wheel well.
I am really liking this upgrade. Currently I use a storage tub with my tools but this is much better.

Can you post a pic of how you had to modify the latch mechanism on the box?

Edit: I figured out what you did with the latching mechanism!

Last edited by christine_208; 08-13-2021 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:51 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

VERY awesome upgrade! Looks like it was ment to be...

Old 08-13-2021, 01:03 AM
BF Veteran

Hello, I am new to this forum, but thought it would be useful to some that carry tools or things and just don't like them thrown in the floor or back. I have had tool boxes that just slide around, if not secured, when in the bed of my pickup, or such that extend across the bed rails taking up bed space. But I found that the swing case boxes that attach to the inner sides of the truck bed on a hinge to swing out to the back are useful for space saving and pretty durable for most tools and small item you don't want just laying lose.
So I thought why not in the back of my blazer instead of just a box or thrown back there. I took one from my truck bed and matched it to the inside right prefect. But swing case don't make them for SUVs, necessarily,. I found that the metal frame behind the plastic moldings in the rear of our blazers make suitable places to tap and hold the same way in most truck beds. So I took the frame hinge and latching bar mechanism from a 2017 f250 and matched them at the necessary height and depth to secure the box to swing. No relative mods to the interior of my blazer other than a 2x4 piece for more firming against the side wall. I only turned the rod latching mechanism on the frame bar from horizontal on the wall mount to vertical. Drilled in one self tapping screw in the frame bar to hold secure the latch.

Two more questions!
  1. It looks like the length of the box is just just enough to fit with the front end touching the carpet on the back of the rear seat. Am I right?
  2. It looks like the lid cannot be opened all the way when the box is in its stowed position and latched in place. Can the lid be opened sufficiently to get stuff out when the box is latched in place?
Thanks!!!

Old 08-13-2021, 09:19 AM

Two more questions!
  1. It looks like the length of the box is just just enough to fit with the front end touching the carpet on the back of the rear seat. Am I right?
  2. It looks like the lid cannot be opened all the way when the box is in its stowed position and latched in place. Can the lid be opened sufficiently to get stuff out when the box is latched in place?
Thanks!!!
Yes you're right. The length does have the box right up to the back of the rear seats. And no you cannot open the swing case lid in the stored position, only when it's swung out past the rear hatch pillar.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:58 AM

I am really liking this upgrade. Currently I use a storage tub with my tools but this is much better.

Can you post a pic of how you had to modify the latch mechanism on the box?

Edit: I figured out what you did with the latching mechanism!
Sorry the first pic didn't enlarge as I though it would on upload.
The main idea is to keep the latch in a vertical position.
The frame bar is meant to be in the vertical position, but
in our blazer application it will only work and match metal
screw tap points behind the plastic moldings.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Beginning Member
chadimus06 is on a distinguished road

Where did you get the aluminum skids at

Old 08-14-2021, 07:50 AM
Beginning Member
chadimus06 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 03jawja
I totaled my blazer trying to avoid a buck and rolled it twice and slide 25 feet on my driver side. Right after putting 1500 into it. Im safe just upset. The roof rack took all of rollover.

Had to move on to another vehicle. Had to get an exploder

I need the psg quarter glass. I can’t find one anywhere.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?