General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:45 PM
lloydk is on a distinguished road

does anybody know of an extra capacity filter for a first gen 4.3 (or part #), I used to run an extra capacity on my 350's I've had

Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rezlab
i have always used fram in my truck and now the blazer but the oil pressure had drops to about 20psi at a stop light im also running vavoline high millage in the blazer. so my question is it the filter that caused the drop in oil pressure or something else? and im gonna cut the fram apart when i change the oil on my truck and likewise with the one on the blazer. so what filter is actully better or worse to use? i have a purolater factory near where i live. i thought about a wix or but a napa filter back on to see if my oil pressure comes back up.
only way to tell for sure is by swapping it. but it is very possible,

I've only used a fram filter twice on my truck, one of those times it made a noticable drop in my oil pressure.. untill i swapped it for a wix then it went right back up

IMO purilator makes a great filter, if you have a factory close by and can get a good deal, the purilater pureone filters are on par with napa gold wix and mobil 1

Old 04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

does napa or autozone carry the wix filters im gonna give it a try before the mud run this weekend

Old 04-24-2012, 12:53 PM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road

Fram filters have always worked great on all of my vehicles. Also another benefit, autozone has special deals all the time where you can get a free Fram Tough Guard filter for free with the purchase of 5w-30 Castol High Mileage 5.28 quart jug. My last oil change cost me roughly.... $25, all with name brand products.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member
Strider is on a distinguished road

I generally use Delco or Purolator, but I have used others and think they're all at least adequate. I had a '54 Corvette and a '70 VW that had no oil filters at all. I agree with what Mike98Blazer says above about the importance of filters related to the frequency of oil changes, and will add that Bob Sikorsky in his "Drive it Forever" column has said that by adding one quart of full synthetic to four quarts of conventional oil you get almost all the advantages of using exclusively synthetic oil. But old habits die hard; I continue to change my oil about every 3K miles.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:58 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the day, they recommended you change your oil filter every other oil change and the reommended oil change was every 3,000 miles, plus you burned leaded gas.

A lot has changed since then.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

This is my Oil after every oil change ....

Don't get oil changed at walmart - YouTube

Yea ok .... lol I wonder how old this oil is

Old 05-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member
Strider is on a distinguished road

What do y'all think about the timing of oil changes in cars/trucks that don't get much use? I used to change my oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever came first. But then I wondered how much oil could degrade by just sitting in a cool oil pan. My wife has a '07 Honda that we bought new. The owner's manual says to change the oil when the on-board computer says it only has 15% life left in it or once a year, whichever comes first. It will get its fifth once-a-year oil change this summer. So, how long a time is too long assuming miles are low?

Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
wasteddreams937 is on a distinguished road

i use a fram filter myself also my truck has 226xxx so i never change the oil without lucas stabalizer

Last edited by wasteddreams937; 05-02-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Ryan02Stang is on a distinguished road

I've been using Bosch filters on my Blazer. No complaints...

Quick Reply: What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?