General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been using Fram filters for over 3 decades, and in that time frame I have never meet anyone who had problems, not even little problems from Fram filters.

So far all I have heard is talk, you haven't provided any facts to change my opinion. I dont want to see facts from a competitor, or that were sponsored by a compititor either. Show me facts from an independant lab that clearly state Fram filters are junk. Show me facts from some national organization ranking the effectiveness of filters.

To further shoot holes in your Fram bashing. If the filters were so bad, why would PROFESSIONAL winning race teams use them?

Old 10-11-2011, 08:18 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hanr3
I have been using Fram filters for over 3 decades, and in that time frame I have never meet anyone who had problems, not even little problems from Fram filters.
Aside from actually finding those shavings? Personally? Sure it took opening about 8 boxes. And if you looked hard enough you might find one in any label.
So far all I have heard is talk, you haven't provided any facts to change my opinion. I dont want to see facts from a competitor, or that were sponsored by a compititor either. Show me facts from an independant lab that clearly state Fram filters are junk. Show me facts from some national organization ranking the effectiveness of filters.
Who's gonna finance it, then?

What do you think.. that there's an underground conspiracy to trash Fram?

Or you think that the Purolator mfrs are making it worth our while?
Check that Picture... most interesting is that Motorcraft right next to AcDelco, some on the Ford forums said they thought Motorcraft had too many pleats.

To further shoot holes in your Fram bashing. If the filters were so bad, why would PROFESSIONAL winning race teams use them?
Seriously? You're saying that race teams go out and buy premium Fram filters to put on their engines.

Or do some other circumstances figure in.

I think this has hit a dead end. Like I say, Even with those little shavings .. or no filter media at all... most people wouldnt notice any effect.

Added: I just happened to remember that I have a couple AC Delco filters for my Lumina, sitting on my garage shelf. Next time I change oil {so as to sell the car} am I gonna use one? Damn betcha. Even if I decide not to sell the car.
- If they also fit my Bravada, I'll probably use them.

But I wont buy another one.. that's the point of the thread.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-11-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

One thing I've learned is .... the best way to start a multi-page thread with some heated discussion, is to start a topic:

#1: asking what oil is best, or

#2: asking what filter is best.

Works on any forum for any motorized equipment.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
One thing I've learned is .... the best way to start a multi-page thread with some heated discussion, is to start a topic:

#1: asking what oil is best, or

#2: asking what filter is best.

Works on any forum for any motorized equipment.
You forgot:
#3: Which Spark plug is best for my car.

Last time I saw that it was loaded because the guy had just bought a set of 'E3's' for his 4.6L bird so 'what do you guys think?'.. after beating him virtually about the head and shoulders for being a gullible biter, it devolved into discussion on various spark systems but the bottom line came down to 'How do you know?' and Why bother!

Example: the Consensus here {I gather} and on Fords {certainly} is Bosch plats dont work well in our {older shared coil type, at least} cars due to no-load misfires. They typically dont misfire under power but at idle and low speed cruise. Meaning the listed plugs run too cold.
I've seen that effect on two different EFI engines. One set I installed, second came with car.
I could look up and buy 1 or 2 range hotter Bosch Platinums and they should work fine .. but why bother.

The listed Motorcrafts and AutoLites work great on Fords, the listed AC Delco's work great on GM's.

Conversely AC Delco's probably work great on Fords {Think I ran a set once on a 2.3L with no problems}, AutoLites on GM's.. but why bother!

Added -some more- so as not to step on Kyle's very good point. Which I had never heard of, either.
As a general rule, the budget / effort thrown at advertising and public relations for a 'commodity' product is inverse of money spent on ensuring quality of the product.
- If you doubt that.. think 'Beer'. There are exceptions -like Sam Adams- but which would you rather buy, Coors or a lesser known local brand. Bud or Sam Adams? Corona or Dos Equis?

Which is why I dont buy certain leading brand oil. And why Fram took a big hit from actual users who looked inside them exactly at the same time as their 'Pay me now or pay me later' campaign.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-11-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago (>10 by now...) I personally witnessed/experienced two Fram filters split at the pinch seam and will never use a Fram filter again because of it.

One engine was in one of our farm trucks and had over 100k miles on it; wasn't that big of a loss. It only took out a few rod bearings and didn't harm the journals much, but we replaced the mains while we had it out. The second was a fresh engine on only it's second oil change. That one hurt as it took out the crank & a few rods... Oil pressure never went over 50psi before it dropped like a rock with either and both had mechanical oil pressure gauges.

Now you know someone who has had first hand experience with Fram failures Tim.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:35 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

@ $7can, locally, I would say definitely WIX!

edit: I once used a fram filter in my jimmy, which was the same price as wix but the store I usually buy my filters with wasn't open on sundays... and I noticed a very noticeable drop in my oil pressure.... swapped it out on monday with a wix and it went back up..

Also... about the Fram on race car thing.... Friend races a 68 stang (at the time was a 12sec car) and WAS sponsored by Fram until a filter collapsed on her.... Just saying...

Last edited by 69chevelle; 10-11-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Oh yeah I did forget those! Spark plugs are definitely another one.

And if your into vintage motorcycles, which 2-stroke oil is best. That goes multi-pages on the lawnmower forums too!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:39 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hanr3

I'm not saying this only happens to fram filters. I'm sure some of the other filters do this as well, probably due to a mistake on the prod line... so here is the link:
Fram Filter Failure Collapsed Tube - YouTube

Here is another Link:
( WARNING ) For You Fram Oil Filter Lover's - YouTube

Last edited by FsTFwRd; 10-13-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Removed a Video*
Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Beginning Member
alloy is on a distinguished road

I didn't see this mentioned, but here is a web site for all kinds of oils and filters. Lots of great info there, and the completely agree on fram filters.

- Bob is the Oil Guy

Old 10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
On that list, AC Delco's arent too great.. about same as Fram.
Been buying Motorcrafts, Mobil 1 or Puro for Fords, AC D's for the Chevvies.
Guess that strikes one off the list.
Today, I took the delco off my blazer because the thought of having a chunk of cardboard, flopping around inside a can protecting my engine bothers me a little. Replaced with a Wix.. So, I cut it open, and much to my surprise the delco filter seems to be high quality. Metal end caps, nice even pleats, and a tight fitted drain back valve.. I assume Delco switched producing companies again. Here is a picture of my used opened Delco Filter:

Originally Posted by alloy
I didn't see this mentioned, but here is a web site for all kinds of oils and filters. Lots of great info there, and the completely agree on fram filters.

- Bob is the Oil Guy
Thanks, there seems to be a good bit of info on there.

Here are some pictures of a $3 filter I purchased at advanced auto parts. It has 60 pleats and is really impressive for the price.
Made in China..
Anyway, bought it to cut it..

Inside the Chinese filter:

Last edited by FsTFwRd; 10-13-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Quick Reply: What type of Oil Filter do you prefer?