General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Wishful thinking - V8 power in a Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:44 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
if you're running @ 13000 feet, you'll want to have something that can be adjusted on the fly (ie. a variable programmer of sorts). 'cause, you can make all the power in the world (up there, or, down here), but it'll never perform amazing in both.
I had NO problems with power fluctuations at elevationwith my v6, I just wonder about that tranny holding up when I mash the throttle w/ a V8 if need be.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i didn't mean your truck wouldn't perform. it just sounded, to me, like you were looking at building an all-out bush/trail truck, and looking at constant, superior performance.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Beginning Member
INHUMAN is on a distinguished road

INHUMAN, i think what ghost was trying to say is, this ain't no weekend swap, 'cause, no matter how good you may think you and your friends are, NOTHING ever goes exactlly as planed-that's why they're called "projects".
i also beleive he was trying to tell you to have a back-up diver while you're doing this (even if it only takes you 3 or 4 days, you'll still need something to do some ruinning around).
as for the end results, sure, why wouldn't you drive it daily? if you can afford to do it, and fuel it, then you may as well brive the bitch.
good luck with your swap brother, keep us updated on your plans/progress.
I would agree you would need another vehicle, i just didnt tell you guys we have like 4-5 pickup trucks sitting around, and i own 2 vehicles. so no big deal. and no kidding, its not a weekend swap, im going to try to get most of it done in 9 hard days. so we will see. my goal is to do this project for $2000

Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 AM

i didn't mean your truck wouldn't perform. it just sounded, to me, like you were looking at building an all-out bush/trail truck, and looking at constant, superior performance.
You couldn't be more correct sir!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:45 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by INHUMAN
I would agree you would need another vehicle, i just didnt tell you guys we have like 4-5 pickup trucks sitting around, and i own 2 vehicles. so no big deal. and no kidding, its not a weekend swap, im going to try to get most of it done in 9 hard days. so we will see. my goal is to do this project for $2000
that'll make good use of 1 week of your vacation!
i just don't understand why our wives can't see this?
good luck with the build-and your budget. keep us posted.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:11 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

hey Bert, i've heard that the L31 is a more common, straight forward swap, but, besides the mount issues, how well does it fit? and what about the LM7? besides being (practically) built in my front yard of St. Catharines, Ontario, i heard that these actually spool up the power curve quicker, and are higher reving (much like the origional 327 it's based on)?
As far as fitment issues on the L31, or any V8 for that matter, the radiator need to be moved as far forward as possible and you'll need to run efans. Some have issues with the a/c compressor and hood clearance. A body lift handles that problem nicely or you can just leave out the a/c.

The LM7 does seem to wind up quicker compared the the L31, though this is from careful research using my old buttdyno in various vehicles. Biggest fitment issue with swapping in an LSx engine is notching the frame to fit the a/c compressor but you still need to move the radiator forwars. This swap is also much more intense in the wiring just to get the guages to work.

I know more about the L31 swap as I've read up on it and have done quite a bit of research. The LSx swap is more of a dream and I haven't really looked at what all needs to be done.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by AJBert
.............The LSx swap is more of a dream and I haven't really looked at what all needs to be done.
i know! a deep pocket-or a winning lottery ticket, hahahahaha!

Old 09-23-2009, 04:30 PM

I know this will be/is a continuing thread, just wanted to say thanks for all the good input I've gotten so far, so, THANK YOU!
I am a good way off from dropping in a V8, or getting one for that matter, but I am planning to do the V8 swap last. I would like to have everything else in place, except the engine/tranny and the skid plates/shields.
The only thing I can't actually decide on (besides small details) is whether I want to keep an IFS/Torsion setup but beefed to the max, or do a solid axle swap. I have always gone off road with my own IFS, and have driven many solid front axles offroad, (At one point I had a 91 Ford Exploder with dana 44s front/rear), and I like IFS better. I don't really have any facts as to why, just the control 'feel' I have when wheeling (You know, where one tire is smashed way up in the fender and the other is stretched all the way down, then 6" later they swap positions). Besides, once its lifted 6" (suspension) plus a couple of inches in body lift(If i decide i need it), and on 35s I don't think I will have clearance issues when in those extra fun boulder runs. The thing that snags me though is, I don't think that a regular 6" lift, though bigger and reinforced over stock, would work/look right once the v8 DOES go in.. sorry to ramble there...
Thoughts?