General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ZR2-ed It!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010 | 11:58 PM
|
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default ZR2-ed It!

This

-

=

+

=

Ive been meaning to put these up for a while now..kept forgetting. ZR2 front and rear axles in my 4-door blazer. Replaced the stock 7.625" rear end with 3.42s with an 8.625" out of a ZR2 blazer. No pics of the front swap though, started running out of time. Its pretty much 3 bolts and a pinion more than doing both CVs at the same time.

It's awesome with the 3.73 gears..Ive got all the low end power back that I had pre-lift/tires/etc! It's also crazy feeling the back end lock in when one tire starts slipping with the G80. I have noticed it sometimes does not lock though...trying to get used to it and see what I have to do to make it lock (wheel speed vs vehicle speed, braking...etc).

Notes for anyone interested in the swap:
-8.5/8.6" rear ends are MUCH heavier than the 7.625's
-Steel brake lines on the axle are pretty fragile after 100k+ miles...be careful getting them off haha
-Autozone flare-your-own-brake-line tools suck..buy pre-flared at the dealer and save the trouble
-Oil leaks from the oil cooler make all the bolts and parts up front around the diff super slippery...I suggest pre-cleaning and degreasing
- Learn to weld before swapping so you can do a SOA...I was so sad I couldn't SOA as I was installing the new axle

Edit: Stock axle for sale. Click.

Last edited by WolfPack; 10-06-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2010 | 12:10 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Nice work mang. If you did the soa rear it would have mad rake, similar to the pic on stands. Are you still going to do a soa?

Old 10-06-2010 | 12:14 AM
|
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Well my rear leafs are seriously sagging...if I have the back end loaded Im almost negative arched haha. So Im just trying to keep it going till the summer when Im shooting for a SFA swap or a TM5 IFS lift and new leafs. Not doing any more rear suspension work short of an AAL at this point!

Timing should work out great though..needing new tires and suspension all at the same time...so...why not go a little bigger?

Last edited by WolfPack; 10-06-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-06-2010 | 05:25 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Nice upgrade! Did you reprogram the computer for the new gears?

Old 10-06-2010 | 07:11 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Dang, beat me to it. Looks great!

Pics of new track width on the rear?

Old 10-06-2010 | 09:41 AM
|
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by nj4x4blaze
Nice upgrade! Did you reprogram the computer for the new gears?
Nope My area Chevy dealers say "it cannot be done", and I don't know anybody with a programmer...anyone near Raleigh, NC have one I can borrow?

Ive got a ScanGuageII though with the correct adjustments put in so I have an accurate spedometer, and a running mileage correction spreadsheet haha..but yea my shift points are slightly off. Much better having them off on the low end with slightly more aggressive gearing, rather than a lag in power from the 3.42s.

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Dang, beat me to it. Looks great!

Pics of new track width on the rear?
Not yet! Ill get one this afternoon though and throw it up. Its noticably wider though! Makes parallel parking around campus much easier..I can see the tires in the side view mirrors haha

Last edited by WolfPack; 10-06-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-06-2010 | 10:04 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Looks good... if you start doing the 1 wheelie peelie let off the throttle until you hear the rear lock. I find my G80 in my Sierra won't lock if the one wheel is spinning ALOT lol. Usually when it starts spinning I'll feather it, hear a clunk and the truck hooks up. (Then I'm sideways...)

Old 10-06-2010 | 10:06 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by WolfPack
Nope My area Chevy dealers say "it cannot be done", and I don't know anybody with a programmer...anyone near Raleigh, NC have one I can borrow?

Ive got a ScanGuageII though with the correct adjustments put in so I have an accurate spedometer, and a running mileage correction spreadsheet haha..but yea my shift points are slightly off. Much better having them off on the low end with slightly more aggressive gearing, rather than a lag in power from the 3.42s.
Power Programmers are locked to a vehicles vin#. So you wont be able to use anybody elses programer. Check ebay, you might be able to find one for cheap.

Old 10-06-2010 | 08:50 PM
|
BF Veteran

pics:

same angle-ish as my sig

from the back quarter

rear track

see! theyre the same width!

Old 10-06-2010 | 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Quite the drastic change. Are you going to run spacers on the front or is the backspacing on the rims already pushing it?

Quick Reply: ZR2-ed It!