General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ZR2-ed It!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010 | 04:41 PM
|
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Pro tip: cut the bracket on the axle that holds the stock brake line..then just use your existing brake system on the new axle Allowed me to avoid messing with the proportioning valve (2-door to 4-door difference), should save you from having to fix a brake line.

Not sure about the CV...funny you mention that..the guy I got my axles from also had a spare CV he threw in (not attached to the diff though haha)...So I have the old CV from my 4-door and a ZR2 CV chillin in the garage...I should compare them..

Old 10-17-2010 | 05:33 PM
bulwaagh is on a distinguished road

Wolfpack, that looks phenomenal. Nice work dude! If you find a way to recalibrate shift points, let us know...

Originally Posted by 01vortec
then it should look like yours did with the stock axle? perfect IMHO, the back is sunk in too much on the 4x4's stock anyways
This is the exact same thing I was curious about. I'm good with the stock rims, but I'm not sure I would like the amount of tire sticking out the front/rear.

Old 10-17-2010 | 06:24 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

the front tires shouldn't stick out anymore since you're only swapping the diff, the rear is the only ones that will stick out a little

Old 10-17-2010 | 11:35 PM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WolfPack
Pro tip: cut the bracket on the axle that holds the stock brake line..then just use your existing brake system on the new axle Allowed me to avoid messing with the proportioning valve (2-door to 4-door difference), should save you from having to fix a brake line.

Not sure about the CV...funny you mention that..the guy I got my axles from also had a spare CV he threw in (not attached to the diff though haha)...So I have the old CV from my 4-door and a ZR2 CV chillin in the garage...I should compare them..
Well. the passenger side brake line is cut in half, so hopefully I can just take the old stock line and put it on the zr2 axle.

Old 02-08-2011 | 10:28 PM
Starting Member
TreasonAgainstCaesar is on a distinguished road

I've read through your thread, and I'm just trying to make sure I understand. Did you use the ZR2 cv axles or the non-ZR2 ones?

I have a non-ZR2 front diff, but I was trying to figure out if the extra length of the ZR2 CV axles would give me any benefit with my lift. From what I can tell, they are the same except a little longer than the standard. Any other input on this? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2011 | 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

added length wouldn't buy you anything as far as angle... They just wouldn't fit. If you want to decrease your angle you'd need ZR2 UCA and LCA and the CV axle, but IIRC the frame is slightly different and may not just bolt up.

In theory though with the longer front end parts it would take less angle to achieve the same lift, I'm pretty sure this is why GM managed to keep the reliability with the 2" higher ZR2

Old 02-09-2011 | 10:50 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

only someone who loves there blazer that much would go through the work to turn THEIR blazer into a zr2 rather than just go out and buy one.
Nice work

Old 02-09-2011 | 11:27 PM
Starting Member
TreasonAgainstCaesar is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
added length wouldn't buy you anything as far as angle... They just wouldn't fit. If you want to decrease your angle you'd need ZR2 UCA and LCA and the CV axle, but IIRC the frame is slightly different and may not just bolt up.

In theory though with the longer front end parts it would take less angle to achieve the same lift, I'm pretty sure this is why GM managed to keep the reliability with the 2" higher ZR2
That's what I was thinking also, but from reading his post, it sounded like he swapped in the ZR2 CV axles... So I wanted to get a better feel for what was going on there.

Old 02-10-2011 | 12:26 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TreasonAgainstCaesar
That's what I was thinking also, but from reading his post, it sounded like he swapped in the ZR2 CV axles... So I wanted to get a better feel for what was going on there.
I swapped my rear axle and front diff just like he did. You do not use the ZR2 CV's. They will not fit!

Old 02-10-2011 | 03:22 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oktain

yup. like rob44 said, they just won't fit, since they're almost 2" longer.

Originally Posted by streblo
only someone who loves there blazer that much would go through the work to turn THEIR blazer into a zr2 rather than just go out and buy one.

Quick Reply: ZR2-ed It!