General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer - Hard Starting

Old 08-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Icarus76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Blazer - Hard Starting

Guys and Gals...

This is my first post here. So, firstly...I'd just like to say hello and that it was great to find a forum specific to the Blazers. They're great vehicles (I have 2...and '81 and a '00). I look forward to finding some help, and to contributing when I can!

My Vehicle: 2000 S10 Blazer, 4dr, 4wd, LS, 4.3l v6

My Problem:

About 6 months ago, starting the truck had progressively become more difficult. It would turn over (and turn over and turn over...etc) for several seconds before finally starting. Recently, it stopped starting all together. I had the fuel pump replaced, because I didn't have the time right then to do it myself, and it seemed to be fine for a couple of weeks.

When I picked the vehicle up, I asked the service manager if he found "gunk" in the gas tank. He told me that he didn't check, and that it shouldn't be an issue..."it's not important". This seems odd to me, and concerns me, because debris left in the tank (if there is any) could cause future problems (restriction, overwork the pump, etc.)...AND because the fuel pump manufacturer specifically recommends cleaning the tank before installing the new pump.

Well, guess what, 2 weeks after installing the new pump...I've got starting problems again.

Things I've done:

Changed the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, spark plug wires...basically, a tune up. Checked for and confirmed spark. I was ~told~, by the shop that changed the fuel pump, that I have proper fuel pressure. But, I don't necessarily trust their word.

What other common problems / failure modes should I be looking for...and how do I test? Fuel pressure regulator, multi-port injection, ignition module, etc...?

Should I be pushing the shop that changed the pump to clean the tank...? The thing there is that I don't trust shops not to poke me in the heinter. Say for example, they clean the tank. But, instead of saying, yah...that was our fault...no charge, they say, oh yah, the problem was this tri-polar flux capacitor and we changed it out...and here's a bill for a whole buncha money. You know the drill.

Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Icarus76

Old 08-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: 2000 Blazer - Hard Starting

could it be something else... maybe a bad or clogged egr??

Old 08-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Icarus76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 2000 Blazer - Hard Starting

Dory...

Thanks for responding.

I can think of a few things it could be. But, being that I have no hard, pending or historical codes for the fuel system (after the fuel pump replacement)...likelihood is difficult to gauge. This is why I thought I would ping the forum for common failure modes.

I thought it could be the fuel injection system, a fuel pressure regulator, an ignition module...and the like. I had not thought of an EGR valve. I don't know enough about the detectable characteristics, and side effects, of a failed EGR valve to say whether or not I think it could be the problem. My initial reaction is that I've never heard of such a scenario...but that certainly doesn't mean it hasn't happened somewhere.

My understanding is that EGR valve problems typically result in rough idle, and power loss. I've never heard EGR associated with starting problems.

I don't have any of the other symptoms that I understand to be typical of EGR valve failure. The truck idles smoothly, runs well, and has plenty of snot.

I will, however, add the EGR valve to my list of things to keep an eye on.

Icarus