General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine swap?! :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine swap?! :)

Hey!

I have couple questions for you people. I have a 1997 Blazer with dead engine and tranny, and want to swap the engine and tranny and if possible the whole suspension from a 2000 ZR2 Blazer. Does anyone know if that would be possible? Is everything going to fit? See, my Blazer and the ZR2 that I want to by are both automatic, but my shifter is in the middle and the ZR2 model is on the steering column!!! Will it fit??? I want to leave it in the middle and just hook it up to the new tranny. I hate those shifters that are on the steering column! Also, will the ZR2 suspension fit on my regular blazer?

I think everything should fit perfectly, but don't know for sure. The body is still the same after all, right?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Engine swap?! :)

The engine and tranny will fit with a few mods, like tranny linkage to keep your floor shifter and such. Are both motors the same year? may have to change computers to. Little things like that.

I don't think the suspension will work because Zr2's are wider. Mounting locations likely in different location. But I'm not sure. But any thing can be made to fit anything if someone really wanted it to.

Old 03-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Starting Member

No, my motor is 1997 and the one I want to buy is a 2000. I heard that those Blazers have the same engine from 1996 to either 2002 or 2006 so this one (since it's a 2000) should fit, right? You said that the ZR2's are wider, but is the body wider? I thought the body is the same, except the grill in front and minor things like that. I think the ZR2 suspencion should fit, anyone have an idea???????

Thank you for your reply!

Old 03-13-2006, 10:32 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought about changing the suspension to ZR2 also, and I was told on ZR2.com that the mounting points are all different. Technically you could do it, but it would take professional work and a lot of modification. The axles are different in the ZR2 also, the rear is a shortened fullsize axle.

Old 03-14-2006, 02:38 AM
Starting Member

Okay,

What if I take my 1997 regular Blazer body off, and put it on the ZR2 frame? So I will have the 2000 ZR2 frame, engine, tranny, and suspension but the body will be from my 97 Blazer. Will THAT work? Is it going to fit? Will I have to do ANY custom modifications to make it fit?

Thank you all for your interest in my situation!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The ZR2 and regular Blazers have different frames. Anything is possible given time, money, and fabrication skills.
What I mean is that you could swap the ZR2 suspension under a regular blazer if you wanted, however as pointed out, the mounting points are different. That means fabrication work to move the mounting points from one frame to teh other.

As for the engine and tranny, as long as you take the entire thing, including the wiring harness and puter for the engine and tranny ti will swap in just fine. Both the '97 and '00 have the 4.3L engine, although the fuel injection system is no doubt slightly differenet and that will require the puter to make the '00 engine work. Unless you swapped the intake and maybe the heads from the '97 onto the block of the '00. Then you could keep the '97 puter.

Now for the tranny. In '97 or '98 GM changed the tranny some. Both the '97 and '00 have the 4L60E tranny, however the '00 will have a seperate bellhousing/cae tranny then the one in teh '97. As far as the puter controls, I am not sure, but think it should work with the '97 puter.

On to your last sugestion. Taking the ZR2 ('00?) and putting the '97 body on top of it. Should work, might have to move a few of the body mounts, but that is a lot easier then moving the drivetrain. People are taking the S10-Blazer body and dropping them onto a K5 Blazer frame for wheeling rigs. In fact that was one of the WhiteKnights morps.

WhiteKnight

And this is by far my favorite video of the WhiteKnight in action.
29mb big file