General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: fuel pump

ORIGINAL: geekdagr8

ive put 2 fuels pumps in my blazer in 3 years 450 each time it is done....both of them before they went out they started to make alot of noise.. ...
I would start looking at other things if you have replaced twice in two years. Maybe you are getting crappy gas, water in tank, or debris in the tank. SHouldn't go that quick by any means

Old 04-19-2006, 07:11 PM
jackfrond is an unknown quantity at this point

great! the tank is only being heald on by one bolt at this point and i'm trying to figure out how to disconnect all the lines before i drop it...

Old 04-20-2006, 11:37 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Told ya to post up.

Not sure how many hoses you have, I haven't droppedd the tank in teh '93 yet. The '87 rear mounted had 3 hoses. Teh '00 side mounted has 6 hoses.

The only way to get to them is to tip the tank after all teh bolts have been removed. This requirs you to balance the tank on your shins, a jack, or lay it on top of a platform you built.

All th hoses come off one of three ways.
Quick connects which are the hardest to remove and easiest to put back on. Pinch afare to remove, slip back on.
Spring clamps, pliers to remove and install.
Hose clamps, screwdriver of small socket to remove and install.

WD-40 sprayed on th rubber hoses will soften the rubber so you don't have to try and pry them off the fittings.

Once you get the tank out, clean the top of extremely well. You don't want any of the dirt in the tank. Removet eh pump unit. Use ascrewdriver and hammer, tap the metal ring to unscrew it. Re place the rubber gasket, should be a new one in ith the pump kit.

One word of caution. GAS FUMES ARE EXTREMELY EXPLOSIVE. FUMES are EXPLOSIVE. Keep all sparks and open flames away, far away. DO not store an open gas tank in the garage. Don't even store it near the house. If the tank is going to remain open for any length of time I highly recommend you fill it with water. Flip it over and let it drain. Then air dry it before you use it again. Getting the gas out is one thing, getting the gas fumes out is another thing. Remember, its the fumes that are the most dangerous.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, quick question for anyone. How can I check the fuel pump if it is working properly without removing it from the tank? How do I check the wires that come to the fuel pump, if they supply enough energy to the pump?

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Old 04-21-2006, 01:53 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

The best way to tst the fule pump is with a fuel pressure gauge ont eh shcrader valve, which is located ont eh fuel rail in the engine compartment on most GM fuel injected engines.

Either it has 12volts or noda.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:24 PM

thanks a lot!! unfortunatly i did end up getting some dirt in the tank...what do i do!?!

btw hanr3, are you having keyboard problems?

Old 04-21-2006, 01:28 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

New fuel pumps come with a warning. Do not dry run them to test. This may burn up the pump before you install it. Same goes for a pump just removed from a tank, its dry so it might just be the same as running a new pump while dry, right? So testing outside the tank is basically taking the price of the pump in your own hands.

Another thing is this. If you're out there with fuel, pump and electricity, guess what you're looking for? Boom.

To clean out a tank after the fuel is removed, I have always used a water and detergent mix. Any detergent you feel is strong enough to break down old fuel residue and be sure it is liquid so it cant hang around in tank when things air dry later. Fill about 1/4 full and shake the tank by hand. Get another body if you need help. Rinse with water several times once you think garbage is gone and tank is about clean. Drain well and air dry COMPLETELY.

When you reinstall, make sure of the ground connection. I have found that a second higher gauge wire attached as close as possible to the other ground (unless broken already) is a good remedy for future ground problems. A hose clamp will pinch a terminal right to the line and will word as well or better than the spade terminal from the factory. Dont be silly like someone I knew and drill a hole to install a bolt to hook the new terminal to. No extra holes?

With thoughts turning more and more to corn gas, it may behove all of us to look for pumps that will work with this. I had an old truck one time that had an outside pump and I replaced the pump twice before someone told me to watch out where I got gas. Even only 10 % ethanol will make some pumps fail. Odd though, they actually would start working again when dry and back to normal. Could reinstall one after it dried up and I had good gas. Seems the diaphram would get weak from gasahol.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:09 AM

all right its installed and the truck is running!! thanks for the help guys!!!!