General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

General

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 05:54 PM
tbirr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General

Hey folks...new to this forum.

I just bought a 1999 Blazer LT 4WD with 85M miles. Has beautiful indigo blue and pewter paint, leather and every electronic gadget known to man or beast. The bodywork seems to be in really great condition. I've owned a couple of S10 pickups (and loved them) but this is my first Blazer. I've had it for two weeks and am really starting to fit well.

Before I get into specifics I'd like to know if there are any known issues with this model year Blazer? I talked the dealer into replacing the water pump and intake manifold gasket before I'd buy it and they did a deep block flush as well. I think I got a decent deal at $7,500. You tell me??

Any info would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: General

Welcome!!! Does sound like a pretty decent deal! Good luck with it.

There are a few areas that stick out.

AC Delco battery positive post corrosion inside the battery causing intermittent starting troubles. Results in the battery post coming out of the battery case if you attempt to remove or tighten the positive terminal.

Ball joints... Many (myself included) have had trouble with the ball joints on their Blazer. This typically is more a problem with the maintenance on the vehicle over it's life. Most people that routinely grease the front end (inc. the ball joints), have a MUCH longer life out of them. Hanr3 is one that has never had to replace his ball joints on his blazer at over 100k miles. I just replaced mine right after purchasing the vehicle with only 73k miles on it.

DexCool coolant issues... These issues again stem from lack of maintenance. Any engines with Dexcool need to be routinely checked to ensure that the level is above the min (hot & cold) to keep the proper level in the radiator AND overflow tank. Improper levels in either can result in pretty bad problems. Also, Dexcool should be changed no later than 5 years after being put into service. It's not like the green stuff where you could *possibly* let it go a season before changing it. I will be making the switch over to the green stuff this summer when I do the intake manifold gaskets and block flush on my Bravada.

Good luck and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!