General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:20 AM
Canadianblazer97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rough Idle

Well i have a rough idle and when i took it in to get the belt replaced they recommended that i get my injectors cleaned. Could this be causing the rough idle? and my poor gas mileage?

Old 06-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rough Idle

It could be many things causing a rough idle. It could be EGR, it could be plugs and/or wires...

Old 06-09-2006, 10:47 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Dory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the roughDory is a jewel in the rough

Very true. When is it rough... when its first started and cold, or all the time, and do you notice a jump in RPM? Also is it eating a LOT more gas then normal?

Old 06-09-2006, 12:52 PM

The rpms tend to bounce up and down about 100-150rpms
I put some STP cleaner in my last tankfull and the gas mileage wasnt too bad this tank is crazy bad.
doesnt seem to have alot of pick up either.
damn these engines are way more complicated then hondas

Old 06-10-2006, 12:18 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Canadianblazer97

Damn these engines are way more complicated then hondas
Actually these engines are not really complicated at all, it is just trying to understand how they get them to work the way they do.

There could be many reasons for the rough idle. But things to check on are what temperatures does it happen the worst at; cold, warm or at normal operation temps (195).

You could have a dirty MAF sensor (plugged into air box) if the wires are dirty then it can mess up readings to computer. To clean this you need to get an electronics part cleaner QD Electronics Cleaner from CRC is what I used to clean mine, but anything similar will work, but do not use a carb cleaner or a product that will leave a residue.

As stated earlier could also be EGR when they get clogged open they allow Exhaust Gases into the intake at the wrong time causing a rough idle...they can usually be cleaned by using a petroleum product like Seafoam or As GM sells it Top Engine Cleaner, these products loosen the carbon deposits in the intake when used as directed and will help clear up some rough idle situations caused by a dirty EGR.

You could also have a bad vacuum hose anyplace in the engine compartment. Those are some of the hardest along with electrical to find, since there are a lot of vacuum hoses routed around the car....

Hope this gives you a "start" on how to find your rough idle problem.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:07 AM

i just got my injectors and map and maf sensors cleaned today so it still runs rough.
i guess im gonna look at the spark plugs tommorow and then hoses.
although now i have a waterpump prob.
i hate the guy who wrote off my civic.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

My truck is running rough right now, and the reason why is that one of the wires got burned. I put som electrical tape over it for a quick fix until I get a new one (which is ironically what I had to to a few months back when it was running rough). Check that kind of thing out when you are looking. Sometimes it's the simplest thing that's wrong.