Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Dual exhaust conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned
kickme005 is on a distinguished road
Default Dual exhaust conversion

95 Blazer 4door i want to install a dual exhaust. What the best way to go? heard u lose back pressure. Do i just get a dual muffler that goes in and out 2 or make it dual starting from the engine(is that pssible)? what bout adding a crossover?

Old 08-06-2010, 06:53 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Search box is located at the top of this forum. Between the "New Posts" and "Quick Links" tabs. Every question can be found from using the search feature. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but this question seems to get asked weekly. If you go to page two or three in this section I believe someone asked all of these questions in one thread not too long ago.

Edit: I get the feeling you're new to cars since you asked is it possible to start with duals from the engine. Dual exhaust means from your exhaust manifolds or headers (if you plan to upgrade to those), you run piping from the primary flanges of your manifolds/headers into either a Y-Pipe (single exhaust as already found on most cars from the factory), H-Pipe (For duals), or an X-Pipe (also used for duals). X-Pipe is the one most people opt to use, myself included on other applications. Duals on a Blazer are worthless. Again, not trying to be a jerk here, but this can all be found by searching.

Last edited by Phil; 08-06-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Don't waste your time with "True duals" (Duals from the engine-back)... get a dual outlet, single inlet muffler and just run dual tailpipes from the muffler.

Also there are SOOO many exhaust threads on this forum, you just gotta look

Old 08-06-2010, 05:32 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I've always been told that just running dual exhaust just makes it look/sound cool where as true duals actually would provide a horsepower benefit.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
I've always been told that just running dual exhaust just makes it look/sound cool where as true duals actually would provide a horsepower benefit.
Totally dependent on the engine set-up, but these engines don't fit the criteria without major internal and external mods.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:42 PM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

The exhaust setup on my car sounds GREAT!!!! I simply put on a flowmaster super 44, and had my cat removed. All that leaves is the pre-cat, and the flowmaster. It has such a great tone, and isnt too loud. But it's just the right volume.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Totally dependent on the engine set-up, but these engines don't fit the criteria without major internal and external mods.
So, are you saying that certain cars could benefit from just duals and not true duals?

Old 08-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

All depends on the piping size, the 4.3 would do well with 2" duals with free flowing mufflers, especially for low end torque. I'd say no larger than 2.25" pipes, that's the medium size for small block and LS trucks. I'd say go with a dual outlet muffler if you want duals and use 2.25" tails and run dual turndowns at the bumper, barely sticking out if you want to see them. I'd get the tips painted so they don't rust and look bad, i've seen white turndows on a white S10 and it looked really nice.