Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

Anyone had a dual fuel conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Beginning Member
S10SUV is on a distinguished road
Question Anyone had a dual fuel conversion?

With the price of fuel here in the UK constantly rising (currently 1.25 GBP per liter) and VAT about to go up from 17.5 to 20% in January 2011, I'm again considering the possibility of having a dual fuel conversion on my 4.3L petrol unit and 49K on the clock and wanted to hear from anyone who's been down that route, or got advice on the subject.

I understand the cost of a conversion is about 1300 GBP in the UK so need to consider the ROI angle (Return on investment) which depends how much mileage I do as to how quickly I get payback. Cost of propane gas is about 50% of petrol currently in UK.

Many thanks in advance everyone.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
helo is on a distinguished road

You live on a freakin' island, how much can you possibly drive!?!

Might be 50% cheaper per liter, but you will loose some efficiency/hp going to LP or NG. (your fuel bill won't be 1/2 as much). I bet it will take a really long time for ROI unless you're driving a few hundred km every day.

I think you can do it for less than you're thinking, though (unless you're paying a shop to do the work).

Are propane conversions common in UK? In the US, there aren't any LP/NG fueling stations in most of the country.

Last edited by helo; 12-26-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Beginning Member

Hi helo,

it may be an island, but it's as crowded as Manhatten, especially in the South, so you may not be able to drive as far but you still spend the same time behind the wheel using up the fuel 'cos of the traffic.

Yup I agree with you on the ROI at the current price differential.

Not sure about doing the conversion myself, but I guess it can't be that difficult - just need to know what you are doing each step of the way, same as a strip-down-rebuild.
Undoubtedly there is a govt requirement in the UK that stipulates conversions can only be performed by a certified engineer because of the potential dangers associated with compressed highly inflammable gas.

Duel fuel is becoming more common. About 1 in 10 gas stations sell LPG, mostly the Shell brand here.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

There are lots of vehicles here in New Zealand with LPG conversions.

I looked into it & may still do it with gas running at just under $2 a litre.

Last i checked the price was around $5k to do the conversion & payback at around 12,000 km a year was around the 3 year mark. There's a Blazer on TradeMe with LPG conversion.

I'll see if I can dig up the info. sure I kept it somewhere. Don't go away!

This is what I got in May 2008 when I was enquiring.

Cost to convert with Impco Air-gas valve system computer controlled (closed loop) would be $3800 inc GST.

Cost to convert with BRC Injection would be $5000 inc GST.

Cylinder would be mounted underneath. If there is a spare wheel there, this would need to be removed. Some vehicles have the spare wheel on the back door.

Both price options would be a dual-fuel (petrol and LPG).

Follow this link http://www.fuelconversions.co.nz/Savings.htm

Old 12-29-2010, 12:28 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info Kiwiblazer, I'll take a butcher's n compare with UK suppliers.