Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

[quote=old skool luvr;356889]and if you read into it, you'd see that it was a side exhaust issue, not a Ford issue. besides, it was more with the wheel coating being faulty, than the exhaust[/quote]
A side exhaust issue but actually a wheel coating issue? Sounds to me like you're contradicting yourself, actually that would be a Ford issue and not have anything to do with the exhaust at all, just like I said. There is nothing wrong with side exhaust, people have been doing it since at least the 60's that I know of and it it created problems like that then it wouldn't be so popular. Chevy did it with sidepipe Corvettes, Dodge did it on both sides with Challenger T/A's and Ford has done it with the Lightnings, not to mention Mustang aftermarket like Roush so it's not an exhaust problem, like you said it's due to something else.

The only possible drawback is it might make the exhaust drone too much or make it too loud for you, but it won't hurt your truck so if you want it then go for it.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

Am i the only one that think side exits are GAY on a blazer or jimmy? I mean why would you do it? It will sound and look just as good out the back, WHICH IS WHERE GM PUT THE EXHAUST. Just sayin all this arguing over ford and dodge and where they put exhaust, seems kinda pointless to me. Just sayin guys dont want to p.o anyone or sound like a dick

Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member
rocknroadie is on a distinguished road

Serious answer: there are some good reasons to run with a side exhaust. You ever look at the gymnastics the exhaust pipe does over the rear axle? Those bends = backpressure, which robs your engine of power. (There's no such thing as good backpressure in a fuel-injected four-stroke.)

Best would be separate pipes coming down off each manifold and going straight out behind the doors with no muffler, cat, or weird bends getting in the way.

Don't believe me? http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

Last edited by rriddle3; 08-28-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: REMOVED INFLAMMATORY IMAGE
Old 08-27-2010, 01:38 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oktain
Ford used to have the exhaust exiting in front of the wheel on the 97 F-150's but that was quickly recalled... the exhaust gases with the mix of road salt ruined the finish on the rim. If you have winters w/ road salt and give 2 ***** about your rims... I'd think carefully about this... My neighbour needed to get his rear quarter repainted on his Dakota because the exhaust gases actually ruined the paint... Mind you waxing a vehicle was not a priority with this guy either.
Originally Posted by 88Vic
You sure about that? They love to salt the roads in KC here and i've had my exhaust like this for over a year:

I also wash it after every drive through snow to prevent frame and body rust, so the solution to that problem may just be keeping your truck clean.
Originally Posted by old skool luvr
WOW!!!

did you read his post? (i highlighted the area in question for you)

'cause judging by that wheel in the pic (and reading your sig if you still couldn't figure it out) it sure don't look like no Ford i've ever seen.

sorry if you think that's being too harsh, but if Pat had of said something along the lines of, "trucks that have the exhaust dumping in front of the rear wheel................" i would've said you put up a nice example of that not being true.

but Pat was right, Ford had a problem. but it was short lived anyways.
Originally Posted by 88Vic
So Ford's can have problems but not GMC? Why does it matter which brand as long as they have the same setup? Ford had problems with side exits, but mine doesn't because it's not a Ford? How does that make any sense? I posted that to show that the problem doesn't make sense because my setup is the same and it's not a problem at all, and i've seen plenty of side exits on Ford's with no problems, like for instance everyone who owns a Gen 2 Lightning which was made after the supposed problems.

OMG!, dude are you being ****!!!

he was showing that the Ford's had an issue (but resolved it) and was giving a heads up to any potential issues.

and if you read into it, you'd see that it was a side exhaust issue, not a Ford issue. besides, it was more with the wheel coating being faulty, than the exhaust.

do you really think only a Ford could have issues with it? i mean, really.
[quote=88Vic;357299]
and if you read into it, you'd see that it was a side exhaust issue, not a Ford issue. besides, it was more with the wheel coating being faulty, than the exhaust[/quote]
A side exhaust issue but actually a wheel coating issue? Sounds to me like you're contradicting yourself, actually that would be a Ford issue and not have anything to do with the exhaust at all, just like I said. There is nothing wrong with side exhaust, people have been doing it since at least the 60's that I know of and it it created problems like that then it wouldn't be so popular. Chevy did it with sidepipe Corvettes, Dodge did it on both sides with Challenger T/A's and Ford has done it with the Lightnings, not to mention Mustang aftermarket like Roush so it's not an exhaust problem, like you said it's due to something else.

The only possible drawback is it might make the exhaust drone too much or make it too loud for you, but it won't hurt your truck so if you want it then go for it.
Exhaust gases are SLIGHTLY corrosive... and if your name is spelt F-O-R-D and you're a 90's child, lets say born in 1997, your farts would peel the clear coat off your shoes... Get what I'm saying? I may be 20, and was only 7 back then but I remember my dad getting the wheel replaced and the exhaust routed to the '98 location.

It may have been Ford specific, it may not have, I also mentioned that the botom of my neighbour's rear quarter panel on his STOCK Dakota got eaten by the exhaust gases... Dodge repainted his quarter panel for him when it started rusting. Did you notice how the old "rounded" body style F-150's started appearing with plastic panels above the tailpipe before the design revision of the line? IE going to those square shoeboxes with more blind spots than a bat with astigmatism. We were never given a reason for the plastic piece but I think we can take a guess as to why they showed up.

My buddy put dual exhaust on his truck 4 years ago the chrome over the taipipes is DONE, FINITO, FCKED.

It's not garaunteed it'll happen either, I've seen lots of guys running the setups in question without issue, but they also baby their vehicles like it's a show-ride. But Fords rims on their F-150's went out in the winter, and who drives an SVT lightning as a DD in the winter? The Lightning also had plastic skirts that probably diverted the exhaust fumes away from the wheel... but there was no reaction between the chemicals in the exhaust and the road salt either on most lightnings because most people didn't drive them in the winter. The two combined made matters worse.

Trust me, NOBODY salts more than Sudbury, Ontario, Canada... we always go OVER BUDGET on road maintenance in the winter because you see salt trucks going by salting dry roads on sunny days in the winter... when it snows they don't plow, they salt and let everyone fend for themselves in the ice cream sundae that forms on the roads. If Abdul or John Kim from Toronto were to come driving up here during the winter they'd think they died and went to hell.

Last edited by oktain; 08-27-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:46 AM
Banned

So rocknroadie Thomas V. The author of that garbage is more smart than the enginerrs who design the cars??? If running the exhaust off the side was such a bennefit for the engine it would still be done......... and its not being done soooooooo........yeah. im just sayin ive been turning wrenches for GM for 10yrs now and never have heard of a side exit being good or make more horse power lol

Old 08-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazerboyz
So rocknroadie Thomas V. The author of that garbage is more smart than the enginerrs who design the cars??? If running the exhaust off the side was such a bennefit for the engine it would still be done......... and its not being done soooooooo........yeah. im just sayin ive been turning wrenches for GM for 10yrs now and never have heard of a side exit being good or make more horse power lol
Hence why you've been turning wrenches for GM, bro. The engineers who design the cars design them that way because of emissions standards, lower costs and legal restrictions. Plus the fact that side exits tend to result in body rot because of those stupid corrosive exhaust gasses.

Anyway, it's not that side exits are definitively good- on cars without a solid rear axle, a rear exhaust is actually better (fewer bends)- it's that they're better than doing 3 60 degree turns to jump it over the rear axle.

Of course, what do I know about glorious american engineering prowess, I mainly work on european imports. (Pre-GM Saab will always have a place in my heart, if not my driveway.)

Old 08-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

^^^Dude i dont need ur smart comments, i wasnt attacing anyone and deff not you. Side exits make no point period......... they look tacky, sound gay, and you have to go over ur frame if you have a body lift or go under which it can get hung up on things while off roading. Like everyone has said get some proof, show some numbers and we can take this pointless conversation further. And did you say solid rear axels are better than independent??? Wow...wow... well i guess the engineers are wrong again, because i want to say most new american sports cars have independent rear suspension. Dont get me wrong i like a solid rear axel in a nice camaro vs. Ind but if you get the chance drive one and tell me what you think

Old 08-28-2010, 05:15 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

If this discussion thread cannot be kept civil, then I will close it. No further warnings.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazerboyz
And did you say solid rear axels are better than independent???
Hahaha, no. I just said that Blazers have solid rear axles, and on cars with solid rear axles, rear exit exhausts are bad from a performance standpoint due to the exhaust pipe gymnastics that suck away power that could otherwise be used to turn the wheels.

I like independent rear suspensions, thank you very much.

And obviously, if you're offroading, you want to design so you won't get hung up on stuff, but honestly that's only a small fraction of cars and trucks. The closest most cars get to offroading is inner city potholes and the occasional curb.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Starting Member
travisrussell88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by big scott
very good point, well i have been thinking about this and i was going to put a 3in hole in the frame were i wanted the pipe to come throw. now after i cut the hole i was going to weld a 1/4 plate inside the frame to five it strangth back. doing that is no big deal.

or i was going to just have the pipe on an angel pointing out the side and down.

i was also thinking about just putting a turn down end right after the muffler but not sure if that will pass the sniff test becouse how are they going to put that fullel pipe on for testing? that would be the eazyest way of doing it.

also i dont take it offroad i converted it to 2 wheel drive. some day i want to find a 2 wheel drive frame to put under the body that way i can bag it right.

If you dump it under the truck it wont pass most state inspections, if it were a pick up it could dump under as long as it were past the cab, but on a blazer it needs to clear the body, otherwise i think you could probably do some fender headers and run the exhaust outside the frame to make it easier and just do a semi-hidden dump before the rears that might be cool, or possibly regular headers with an immediate 45 angle towards the outside to possibly get the pipes under the front portion of the frame that isnt so low ?

Quick Reply: having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?