Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 02:51 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

If the tailpipes are a larger enough size and are mandrel bent, they're not hurting performance. Show me a dyno or track test to prove otherwise. On a street car you won't notice the 1-2 horsepower they may possibly rob above 6000rpm so it doesn't matter. Mustangs and Camaros are still live axle and their tailpipes aren't making them pigs, as long as they're not 2" tailpipes with kinked bends from being crush bent, it doesn't matter. Most every muscle car from the early 60's to mid 70's had tailpipes out the back and they still made 450hp back then.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

Ok guys i was talking with my dad on this subject and he said. In the 60's and 70's what they would do with the exhaust and headers is, run the car hard for about 15 min take a crayola crayon and mark the exhaust from the header all the way back. When the crayon stoped melting that would be the part in the exhaust where the most h.p would be. Anything past that point they would loose power. So to see if this actually worked i tryed it and mine was just ubove the rear diff, and also these engines need back pressure to run good, the back pressure it what actually cools the valves off

Old 08-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Beginning Member
rocknroadie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazerboyz
also these engines need back pressure to run good, the back pressure it what actually cools the valves off
Only on older carbureted engines that couldn't adjust properly for the increased airflow. Any modern EFI engine will be more than capable of running with open headers without any valve damage.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:20 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

so now it seems like you're back tracking on your arguement 88vic.

Originally Posted by rocknroadie
Only on older carbureted engines that couldn't adjust properly for the increased airflow. Any modern EFI engine will be more than capable of running with open headers without any valve damage.
you sure sound like a guy who needs to put his money where his mouth is taking him!

uncork you '92 brother, and let me drive her for awhile, i'll make you eat those words of yours.

that's not a threat, it's a promise. i've burned more drivelines than most of you guys combined. unless it's a off-road application only (meaning drag, drift, road coarse, you get the point) it will need that BP. never mind the legal & enviromental issues. forget all that, we're talking strickly on what the engine can/can not deal with & survive.

and before you go touting, "where's your proof?" lets me tell you, i burned a 4.3 in my '92 by running a punched cat (a big no-no, i know), and a super free flowing muffler. so your author of said article can go blow free flowing exhaust out the back door of his shop.

well enough for one night, i've got work in a couple of hours.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
uncork you '92 brother, and let me drive her for awhile, i'll make you eat those words of yours.
Nah, this thing has more issues than Time magazine, so I fully expect it to buckle under any sort of abuse. It was a miracle it even had a current inspection for the $1400 I paid for it.

However, if you want, I'll haul my old beater 1992 Toyota Camry up there. Ran her as a daily driver with a blown Y-pipe and then later open headers for the better part of two years before I finally got around to putting everything together. Ahh, the Toyota 3VZFE engine, how I love thee.

Last edited by rocknroadie; 09-03-2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
so now it seems like you're back tracking on your arguement 88vic.

and before you go touting, "where's your proof?" lets me tell you, i burned a 4.3 in my '92 by running a punched cat (a big no-no, i know), and a super free flowing muffler. so your author of said article can go blow free flowing exhaust out the back door of his shop
What are you talking about? Back tracking what arguement? I said it the first time and i'll say it again, side exhausts are not harmful, that was a Ford only problem, you were the one saying because Ford had a problem with side exits that they were all bad, which is false.

Also no cat and a free flowing muffler will not burn valves, wrong again. That was a coincidence, i've been running a highflow cat and a Magnaflow which is the best flowing muffler you can buy, for over 10 years and no burned valves, and only in the past couple years have I had a cat, before it was no cat at all just pipe, and if you don't think I push it hard it used to tow a gooseneck. It has over 202,000 miles with no problems. You must have just had a worn motor and you blammed the exhaust for it's problems.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:51 AM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

Mehh what ever vic88 ive been wrenchin on cars for 10 years now, my dad has been doin it for over 38 years. And even he said in todays engins meaning from the early 80's and up. They were DESIGNED to run EFFICIENTLY with BACK PRESSURE, now you can call me a liar and you can call my dad a liar i dont really care. But you can go in anywhere you want to and ask them if running a side exit is a good idea? And just wait for the reaction you get from the older WISER tech's. Unless the engine is built for side exit or just headers? Which im guessing yours is not!!?? You will actually lose power and fuel economy

Old 09-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Beginning Member

You will actually lose power
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong, unless you're running a 2-stroke, you will never lose power by eliminating backpressure. Next time I can get access to a dyno, I'll A/B my old camry just to prove you wrong. You won't gain more than say 4 whp under most situations, but you certainly won't lose power.

and fuel economy
Mayhaps, but if you're worried about fuel economy, you should be driving a turbodeisel, not a gasoline anything. Better torque and 50mpg, that's what I call a win-win situation.

Last edited by rocknroadie; 09-04-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just to chime in here... Engines requiring back pressure is a myth as vic88 stated. Burning exhaust valves can happen, but not as a result of an exhaust system change. This is typically due to a malfunctioning EGR system and/or out of spec AFR (lean).

You can get to a point of diminishing returns with exhaust pipe sizing. Too large and the flow velocity slows down, exhaust gases cool off/shrink - slowing down further, and things domino from there leading to lower performance. A properly sized system will keep the exhaust gases as hot and flowing as fast as possible to promote scavenging.

Here are just a few threads to help clear this up:
Backpressure
exhaust instead of lift kit
good idea?

For more information,a quick google search for "back pressure myth" will turn up a LOT of write ups explaining things in more detail.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Starting Member

Exactly, backpressure is a myth. High exhaust velocity is needed to run efficiently and make more power. The key is proper exhaust size and design. Too small is restrictive but too large slows down flow. Think of a garden hose, the flow of the water speeds up as you cap off the end a little bit with your thumb. You need to use the right size piping for your engine's power output and eliminate as many restirctions as possible.

Quick Reply: having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?