Performance & Brainstorming Want to free up some HP? Looking at headers? Ask your performance related questions here!

High flow Cat or OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Deezy Steez is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up High flow Cat or OEM?

About a month ago i started noticing a slight exhaust rattle on my 98. when i got it up on the hoist and shook the exhaust around to try to find it i found nothing. What i did notice was my converter was on its way out and rattling like crazy.

Im going to have to replace it either way but my question is should i gmo with a high flow catalytic converter or an oem one? im already running a magnaflow catback exhaust. I live in ontario and wasnt sure if the highflow would pass emmissions. Thanks guys

Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

I know the Magnaflow cats (or Catco, whatever you wanna call it) are US 49 State approved, and they make ones for California. I'm sure if you called them they'd tell you which one passes Canada's tests. I say go hi-flow for the sake of the universal ones are under $70US. Just do yourself a favor, and before you put it on, register it for the lifetime warranty. I didn't register the one I put on my Firebird, so when mine got clogged from having blown valve seals I was SOL.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

X2 on a high flow cat. Just take a look at how much an OEM cat is going to cost and you'll have no problem deciding which on to put in.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
speterson1011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi flow

Deffinitely go with the hi flow cat. I just put one in myself because of mine doing the same thing, Although I put a new magnaflow muffler and a bigger single pipe out the back with a 18'' chrome tip and I noticed some differance

Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

If they can't give you a definitive answer on if their cat will pass emissions... get the one for the state of Cali. The governator's emission regs are so strict you can't even fart in LA. so I think you'll be fine for the Ontario emissions.

Or you can just move up north where we don't have mandatory emission testing for some reason... I always know when its a southern Ontario car for sale in the Northern Ontario classifieds if the ad has "E-tested" in it.