Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

To lift or not to Lift.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Starting Member
versechorusverse is on a distinguished road

I say go for it if you your on a budget and want a higher look but itll also show your frame quite a bit, youll feel a little bit more roll going around the corners fast so you need to slow down a little bit more, very slight. It wont make it perform any better. You definitely will be thanking the body lift every time you go to work on it though that was definitely noticeable to me.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member
AGodlyCanuck is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
My 2 cents: A body lift gains you zero ground clearance. It only gains you tire clearance. Larger tires gain you 1/2" ground clearance for every 1" taller tire. Personally I don't see much value in only doing the body lift to fit bigger tires.

If you want to lift your truck (and understand the effects this will have) then start with a suspension lift (RC 2.5" lift or even just a reasonable 1.5" t-bar crank and shackles) and see if you can fit your desired tire size. Most people can fit 31's with this setup, and you can add the body lift to that if you're having problems with rubbing on the fenders.
Hmmm... Well hoenstly crankingthe T-bars makes me nervous... It doesn't seem... safe lol

from what i hear 1.5" is quite a bit.

maybe ill have to look into it more =.=
but yeah... that would probably work...

Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

Only doing a t-bar crank won't let you fit larger tires if you're suspension gets fully cycled while exploring either. If you rub at stock height you're going to rub when the suspension is compressed too. T-bar lifts really only help stop rubbing at a static ride height (ie smooth, paved roads) and you won't keep a static ride height on a rough road.

If you want larger tires and more ground clearance than just larger tires will give you, then you need to do both. If you just want larger tires and the bit of clearance they give then just a body lift is good. If you want extra ground clearance at the frame (won't help at the diffs) and are good with the tire size you have now then just a t-bar crank/lift will work.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:12 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Jamaroon
Only doing a t-bar crank won't let you fit larger tires if you're suspension gets fully cycled while exploring either. If you rub at stock height you're going to rub when the suspension is compressed too. T-bar lifts really only help stop rubbing at a static ride height (ie smooth, paved roads) and you won't keep a static ride height on a rough road.

If you want larger tires and more ground clearance than just larger tires will give you, then you need to do both. If you just want larger tires and the bit of clearance they give then just a body lift is good. If you want extra ground clearance at the frame (won't help at the diffs) and are good with the tire size you have now then just a t-bar crank/lift will work.
Well... would Cranking the T bars and adding shackles add a small bit of ground clearance then? (with "stock" tires for example)

It sounds nooby, but when the vehicle is 90km's away (55miles) i cant really just up and look at them XD

maybe this weekend though

Old 01-29-2014, 06:58 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

If you want extra ground clearance at the frame (won't help at the diffs) and are good with the tire size you have now then just a t-bar crank/lift will work.
Originally Posted by AGodlyCanuck
Well... would Cranking the T bars and adding shackles add a small bit of ground clearance then? (with "stock" tires for example)

Yes

Old 01-29-2014, 09:06 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Jamaroon's right. You will get a bit of ground clearance, but the t-bar crank doesn't add any extra suspension travel, it just raises the front end a bit so you can get the bigger tires on. It will most likely accelerate wear on some front end components, but you'll run into that any time you modify your vehicle. That being said, if you're careful and don't raise it too much it you will likely be fine. For what it's worth, I've been running on a 1.5" t-bar lift for almost 6 years now with no problems.

Originally Posted by AGodlyCanuck

It sounds nooby, but when the vehicle is 90km's away (55miles) i cant really just up and look at them XD

maybe this weekend though
If you have the money and want a reasonable lift the 2.5" Rough Country lift seems to be quite well put together for a pretty good price. If it had of been available when I started lifting I would likely have gone that route. I may still at some point, but for now I don't really see the need when I can fit the tires I want with my current setup. The main reason I went the route I did was because I was in University at that point and didn't have the money to do anything else.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
-snip-
Sorry to necro bump but it didn't really make sense to make a new thread for this

( was in japan over the winter :/ )

Actually El_Beautor, your build is what make me think more about it... I was thinking a 2" Body Lift and 1.5" Torsion Bar Crank... But i am confused about the shackles in the back because people always say that 2" Shackles would only ad about 1" of lift in the back... so... to get that 1.5" to level out the back what size shackles would i need in the back?

Basically i love the way your blazer sits... its a really nice height and looks sweet. i hope you dont mind but i would really like to have mine sit like yours lol