Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Maybe a dumb question? Rear lifting???

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

No they don't... it seems that they've replaced the shocks for lifting the truck. The shackles are a given, I would like to find blocks as well though. Do you know if lowering blocks would work just put them on "vice versa"?

Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shotnva777
No they don't... it seems that they've replaced the shocks for lifting the truck. The shackles are a given, I would like to find blocks as well though. Do you know if lowering blocks would work just put them on "vice versa"?
any kinda block you put in there will lift the back of the truck. also your gonna have to have new u-bolts made.... and if youre going through this you might want to inspect the spring perches. they actually left them on the bottom of the axle. but it looks like they rigged up something up top to keep the axle on the pring. you just dont need that axle falling off on you.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:41 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

[quote=shotnva777;459281]OK guys here's the pics I said I would get! Sorry if they aren't of exactly what you needed to see. I believe I have shackles, an add a leaf and different shocks? I can't tell if there's blocks? Thanks to any help from anyone! If anyone could just please show/tell me a way to get another inch out of this back end it'd be AWESOME!

i dont know if thats technically a add-a-leaf set up. looks like someone just threw some random leaf spring pieces they had laying around under the spring to get that extra inch lift. but if you want a inch, put a 1 inch block under there. also those are the stock shackles might as well just get a 2 inch block and ditch those extra two pieces of leaf springs that are laying in there

Old 09-10-2011, 08:18 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Those shackles look like they're already pushed as far back as possible and are hitting the frame. If the shackle doesn't have room to move forward and backward, the suspension cannot flex. Is it actually hitting the frame or is that just the angle of the camera?

Last edited by mdehoogh; 09-10-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Starting Member

Actually it may be close IF NOT touching the frame. Either way, longer shackles and/or blocks will probably move it out of the way.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Beginning Member
HigherPower is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems like a hodge podge of things done to get that 8"

Last edited by HigherPower; 09-11-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by HigherPower
It seems like a hodge podge of things done to get that 8"
Oh it was/is.... and I'm paying the price for it! It's about as redneck engineered as you can get! Either way, I'm getting it right. I've got the front the way it should be, I'm working on the rear now. I've decided to just get longer shackles and a "real" add a leaf (longer one actually MADE for my Blazer), I'm taking out that flat "scrap metal" in during the install... I would go for blocks but I can't find any for lifting, only lowering, and I just don't trust throwing a 1" lowering block up in there to LIFT the truck. Doesn't seem safe and IMO don't think I'll need it with the said upgrades. It's a work in progress... slowly but surely!

Old 09-15-2011, 04:51 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

ok, the bottom leaf in there is an add-a-leaf. It looks just like mine. The problem is that its in the wrong spot. The flat leaf above that is the bottom out leaf which needs to be on the bottom of the spring pack. The add-a-leaf should be on top of that. With it being on the bottom i think it is actually worse than not having it there at all. It is providing no lift at all. That may be the reason the shackle is pushed so far back. I would recommend removing that bottom leaf and getting a new add-a-leaf since that one is probably junk. I got mine from suspensionconnection.com. It lifted mine about 2-3in. Also that is the stock shackle. I would get the add-a-leaf and see how it sits. Then decide if you need longer shackles.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the feedback.... ill put that one on the bottom and see what it looks like, if it looks ok then I may just get shackles for the extra inch or so. If it's some crap after the "proper" install then I'll grab new shackles AND a new add a leaf. Again, thanks!