Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Question about shackles for T-Bar crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Starting Member
JS_blazer is on a distinguished road
Post Question about shackles for T-Bar crank

I've been reading through the T-Bar Crank tutorial and discussion, but I can not figure out: 1. What shackles do. 2. Why do I need shackles if I crank the t-bars. and finally 3. Can I just turn my bars to level? or is it just to lower and lift?

P.S. I searched, so if this has been discussed before, I apologize as I may have looked over it.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:10 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I think you don't realize that shackles go on the back of the vehicle, where you have leaf springs, and the tbars are up front.

So, shackles will be used to raise the rear of the truck by putting in longer ones. Adjusting the tbars will either raise or lower only the front of the truck.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:24 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

you can also adjust to level with the t bars (make the front in line with rear).

usually they are just used for lift/lower, because there are not a lot of people here trying to make there vehicle lookd and ride "more stock"

Old 12-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Starting Member

..I know the t-bars are up front and shackles in the back. I'm not that slow. XD

Well, based on the money situation, I'm just gonna level.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I can't see how you searched and came up with nothing? Shackles is a topic that is beat to death on the forum.

Search results for "Shackle+Lift" = 159.

Some examples of results:

(with pics) - https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...t=shackle+lift
(also with pics) - https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...t=shackle+lift

And here is an excellent write up on Shackles someone posted a while ago. It's not a local link (on a Jeep forum) but it explains just about anything you'd ever want to know about shackles..

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/f57/sha...they-do-20993/

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Starting Member

Honestly Sisk, the case is I'm probably not searching right

EDIT:
yeah see, i just searched "Shackles"

I have spent hours creating the following shackles. Prepare to be amazed:

ok, after you're done laughing at my shotty Paint work, maybe some 'shplainin.

- How tall would the shackle need to be? (and yes Sisk, I looked at those threads you gave, and they are bookmarked for reference. thanks)

The wrangler link says that if the stock shackle is 4" and the new one 6", you divide the difference by 2, giving you 1" of lift.

So if just for example the stock shackle is 3", I'd need to make a 7" shackle for 2" of lift?

Now, onto my artwork, I'm thinking of getting four pieces of 3/4" or 1/2" thick aluminum(if thats the kind of metal I need), the length will depend on how long my shackles are now. I will get 4 new bolts, and 4 nuts to fit. Will I need new bushings if I can get my shackles off with out damaging the bushings?

Last edited by JS_blazer; 12-27-2009 at 09:14 PM.