Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

straight axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:21 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by s10 blazer dude
so if i used k5 axles, i would need all the leaf springs from the k5, i would need to buy hangers for the leafs up front, what would i do for the steering,to me that seems liek its going to be the hardest or at least a little confusing
lol its really not that hard. you dont really need to buy anything special if you have any kinda fabbing skills the problem with the k5 axles is they are wide. tires stick way the heck out which is illegal in some states. i also heard of people using older bronco axles.... heres how i did mine in a nut shell

start by gutting all the IFS crap out from under it

welded a 3x3 inch tube across the front

made the hangers out of left over tube. bought some shackles at a local spring place. easy front is done.

rear is a littl more tricky due to the frame being different on each side. i bought some 3x4 inch square tube, cut it to fit where i needed it. welded it and gusseted the heck out of it. still holding to this day.

theres a bunch of differnt designs for the rear hangers. i just kinda went on my own.

again the steering is simple. get a set of flat top knuckles (which your gonna have to have someone machine them) and a steering arm from any offroad site

this link tells you where to find them and what to stay away from.. i used dodge knuckles which suck lol
http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/flatop_knucles.html

i had a custom drag link made. i dont know if you can use a certain one off any stock vehicle. also used a astro van steering gear box and tapered the hole to fit the K5 blazer tie rods i wanted.

heres another good shot of the front end

and a little undercarage shot

i was a fullsize k5 blazer man myself for like 8 years but once i got this thing there was no going back. and you should know how easy parts are for 10bolt axles. people basically give them dang things away.

couple details i forgot. front springs are 6 inch leaf springs with a couple leafs taken out. rear is stock springs, with a 4inch block. 33/14.00 boggers. used the np208 out of a fullsized blazer, bolted right onto the 4l60 but the trans dont shift right due to no VSS. which really dont make any difference to me when it only sees first gear

anything else just ask

Old 09-02-2009, 10:18 AM
s10 blazer dude is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for that elaborate run down man, but about the transfer case, how bad does it effect the tranny shifting, i wanna be able to use it as my driver as well as my wheelin truck, is it gunna be able to handle it on the hgihways

Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 AM
BF Veteran

thanks for that elaborate run down man, but about the transfer case, how bad does it effect the tranny shifting, i wanna be able to use it as my driver as well as my wheelin truck, is it gunna be able to handle it on the hgihways
it pretty much doesnt shift at all. if you want to leave your stock case your probably gonna have to find a ford front dana 44 out of a bronco or something that should take care of that problem. i never really looked into fixing the problem due to my truck being a trailered truck only but im sure theres something you can buy or make to get the VSS into the np208.

if i put it in drive and go it will stay in first. but if i put it in first and rev it up then pop the shifter into 2nd then it will shift. kinda like a manual trans i guess. as far as i can tell this thing is pretty stable at driving speeds. had it up to like 30mph a few times

heres a couple threads i have saved that helped me out with my build. these people did this the RIGHT way

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f134/m...e-pics-295223/

http://monkeycage.island4x4.com/show...t=31277&page=3

and another idea on how to hang the front springs. this was what iw as going to do but didnt really want to cut into the frame incase i measured wrong

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...99#post7412699

Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM

hey what if i use a 700r4, will that botl up with the 4.3?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
BF Veteran

hey what if i use a 700r4, will that botl up with the 4.3?
yep. 4.3 is just a 350 with two cylinders hacked off. thats one of the beautiful things about chevy alot of stuff is interchangeable. i got a th350 set aside to bolt to my 4.3 when the 4l60 finially blows up.

but if theres nothing wrong with your trans google around and see if theres a way to rig up that sensor. might only be like a 10 dollar part instead of swapping transmissions

Old 09-03-2009, 03:10 PM

yea my trannys gettin beat up anyways, so ill probly do the 700r4 then, ill just buy a cheap k5 scrap whatever i need , thanks for the help so far,when i start the project ill be sure to post pictures and let you guys know how evrything went