Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Accessing the Body Relay Block

Old 01-07-2018, 10:37 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Accessing the Body Relay Block

I thought I'd share what I learned about accessing the Body Relay Block (BRB) on my 1999 Blazer.

Now, I want to be clear that a previous excellent post on this forum was super helpful: https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...hematic-81664/

However, I thought I'd supplement it with a couple things that I learned.

First, after taking off the lowest trim panel and the one below the steering wheel, I think I could do it again with only taking off the lowest one. The plug that goes into it can be removed by using a 7mm socket to release it once the lowest panel has been removed. However, it will not easily be pulled out. I used a pick between the outside of the plug and the receptacle to help pry it out.

view of plug that goes into BRB. When in the BRB, it is oriented so that the wires go up into the plug that goes up into the BRB.

To get the BRB itself out, the plug does not necessarily need to be removed although it probably will make it easier.

BRB removed. The hooks marked with red are the top ones and the ones marked in green are the lower ones.

This first of the next two pictures is from the previous post showing the metal frame on which the BRB is mounted. (Same color coding used for the mounting hooks.)

This next picture is a view of the backside of that metal frame, looking up and slightly back.

View from below and behind of where the BRB mounts. The colored circles show where the corresponding attachment hooks go. The scoop looking opening is where the parking brake release cable comes through.

To get the BRB out, I pulled down on the lower hooks. This I found hard. In retrospect, and based on how I reinstalled it, I would recommend trying the opposite to remove it: Push up on the BRB with the lower hooks still engaged but now deflecting enough so that when pushed high enough, the top hooks can be disengaged and the BRB rotated outward (forward). Once the upper hooks are disengaged, then the whole BRB can be brought down.

How I reinstalled it was to engage the lower hooks first and then push up and inward (towards the back of the truck) at the top until the top hooks engaged with their mounting holes.

When I did this work I also had the lower panel for the instrument panel off so I've here is a view of the top mounting holes as looking through the frame above the parking brake release mechanism.

The scoop looking opening is where the parking brake release cable is run.

And finally for completeness, here are a couple extra views:
1) a view at the bottom of the BRB into which the plug goes:

2) A view of the top of the BRB with and without its cover over the relays.