Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Aux light cover laws?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about
Default Aux light cover laws?

Does anyone know what the laws are on putting the covers on off road lights? I'm personally wondering about nevada but this might be a helpful place for anyone with knowlege on the subject in their area.

I've done a search for this on here but didn't find anything. Any help would be nice thanks.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Depends on the state...

Call your local sheriff/police office and ask?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really see how local laws would have anything to do with covering lighting that you have added to the truck. Stock lighting, sure, but not auxiliary lighting. Check to be sure though.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Not so much preventing covering, but actually requiring it. Some states require an opaque covering on any lights added above X height, or over X number of lights, while on the road.

I know NC only allows no more than 2 auxiliary driving lights above 42" to be used on the highway, and when on, they are treated as high-beams and must be deflected or turned off within range of another car.

Edit: Found a good link with a few state's info: FJ Cruiser forum link

Ex: Pennslyvania requires covers on the highway
Pennsylvania

Here’s what I found.

I have only included part b and f. For the entire PA Light Code go to: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms.../chapter43.pdf

(b) Rear lighting.--Every vehicle operated on a highway shall be equipped with a rear lighting system including, but not limited to, rear lamps, rear reflectors, stop lamps and license plate light, in conformance with regulations of the department. If a vehicle is equipped with a centrally mounted rear
stop light, a decal or overlay may be affixed to the centrally mounted rear stop light if the decal or overlay meets all applicable State and Federal regulations.

(f) Off-road lighting.--Off-road lighting lamps may be mounted on the roof or roll bar of a vehicle and shall be covered with an opaque covering that prohibits any light from being emitted when the vehicle is being operated on a highway or trafficway. Any person who illuminates an off-road lighting lamp while the vehicle is being operated on a highway or a trafficway commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, be sentenced to pay a fine of $100.

Last edited by WolfPack; 03-28-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I read that incorrectly. Thought the question was related to not being able to cover them which now seems silly.

I know there are laws about using off-road lighting on-road.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:15 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

In MI all rood lights lights have to be covered at all times when on the road. I was pulled over for it last summer and got a warning. Personally I think he just wanted to check out my truck up close since I see trucks all the time with light uncovered. lol

Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well thanks, I guess if I get pulled over than I'll find out.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 AM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Thogert, I looked through the Nevada vehicle laws and can't find anything that deals with off road lighting. My suggestion would be to contact your local trooper headquarters and ask them.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran

Yeah I tried to Google it but I couldn't find anything for or against it. I'll just keep the covers on untill I get a chance to go ask the fuzz.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

If its illegal to drive without covers, shouldnt kits sold in that state be required to have covers???

I ran a set of US general fog lights (harbor freight) on my brushguard without issues, and past several cops both local and state ..... of course I never ran them on when driving in traffic.