Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

First gen AD244 alternator install "how to" with pics.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:14 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I'm assuming you would have to do modifications on it also to make it fit?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:34 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that I'm not 100% on. My alt was through db electrical. The case has no "delphi" stamps or any marks on the case at all. So I don't know if it may be a aftermarket shell. But there is/was a guy that did some research on the AD244 on his 1st gen and his thread on blazinlow gave me the info about the new alt harness wiring. He never mentioned any mods like I had to do to get it to fit in the brackets.

I'm not gonna say yea or nea, but I had to do some filing on mine. But it wasn't hard at all and once it's mounted you can't tell the brackets or alt was filed down any.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

that is a sweet *** beard my friend... but anyway... im thinking of getting an iraggi h/o alternator, after this im no longer afraid to put it in myself.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Ha ha, yeah alot of people like the beard. I think it's cause not many 24 year olds have a thick full face beard.

Yeah it's so simple to swap in and replace. You can even get a harness adapter so you can run the ad244 alt and not cut and splice a new alt harness connector in place of the old one. That is if you have a 94 and older blazer. 95 and new you should already have a plug that works for the ad244 style alt.

I've heard alot of good about Iraggi alts. Dom Iraggi seems like a good guy that knows what he's doing and is pretty popular. I'd reccomend going with the ad244 style case over the cs130/cs130d or cs144 cause it let's heat out better. That style alt case runs cooler, which means more power at engine operation temperature. Hope you get it and if you run into any problems just ask.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Starting Member

well i have an '04, i didnt know they made different cases. i thought i saw something about he uses a case that matches the original for your vehicle.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:21 PM

He can use the factory case. But keep in mind, a smaller case will not evacuate heat as efficantly as a larger case. And the AD lines of alts have larger cases with more vents in the case. And instead of the large external fan and the internal one, both are internal and push out hot air. The colder the alt, the more power it makes, just like your amplifiers. That's why you'll get 14-15 volts when you first start the vehicle and then drop to 13.5-14 or so when at operating temperature.

The smaller cases can go up to normally 200-225 amps or so before I'd be wondering about the quality of the materials used, the long term life of the alt, or the truth behind the amperage claims. More amps mean more heat and smaller cases are only so efficiant. That's why alot of people get the AD244 and build them up to 300+ amps and they work great. At 250+ amps your low rpm voltage can suffer though, that's why alot of people run dual alts with one high output and one lower, or factory alt for idle amperage.

Plus you lose some horsepower with a high output alt, cause the internals take more energy to move then a lower amperage alternator. For a 250 amp alternator of good quality you can expect to lose 10+ horsepower. It's not a noticable loss, but something to keep in mind. I've studied alternators a good bit in the last year, exclusivley the s series alts and know somethings but not everything. But if Iraggi is the brand you want to go with, just talk to Dom and explain what your needs are and what amperage loads you are running and he'll walk you through what you need.

Main thing about the cs series alts is that the internals are normally prone to failure, espically from high temeratures. So when more power is produced in the small case, you can see why it is not the best route to take. But if your not running 2,000+ watts RMS or something of decent size, you could probley run a small case alternator with no problems if your wanting a factory look under the hood. I just went with the large case so I have headroom to rebuild it and make improvents in my system if I would want to in the furture. I'm a diehard basshead and need more power than the average guy with two twelves and a 800 watt amp lol.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Starting Member

makes absolute sense. while we are on the topic, i clam to be the go to guy for car audio but you cant know it all. so my question basicly the amps that you need are what your amplifiers fuse is. so like 4 50 amp fuses would be a load of 200 amps, meaning i would need a fuse up front from my battery of 200 amps and also my alternator would need to be 200 amps plus the rest of my electrical to be right. so would that theory be right? my fuse number is what my amp will be pulling amperage wise?

im thinking of saving a **** ton and getting 2 rockford T2500 and the newer models have a 300 amp fuse, so that would be 600 amps in all just for the amplifiers. so id probably be getting 2 300 amp h/o alternators and leaving the stock for everything else. i figure go big or go home haha. and then theres getting into batteries which i have no idea about.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

do you know if Iraggi does any of the older styled GM alts as well Josh?

Old 07-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
do you know if Iraggi does any of the older styled GM alts as well Josh?
I'm not 100% on what Dom does, but I know he uses cs cases sometimes. I don't know about the older 12si and alts like that you'd have to talk to him Chris.

And JShark, I'm gonna reply a lil bit but I'm at work and can't go into detail, but I will tonite.

The fuse rating on the amp isn't what the amp pulls, it is overbuilt so that the fuses fail if the electrical coming into the amp is too high for it's electrical system. My amp is fused for 180 amps, but the amp in tests I've seen pulled 120 amps max. The power from the battery goes through the cable and the fuses are just checks that make sure the power isn't above what the amp can handle.

I think the 10,000 watt kicker darkhorse is only fused for about 600 amps, so those two Rockford wouldn't need that kinda fuse protection. I'd run a 300 amp fuse in the power wire for those two amps if I were using them. Plus keep in mind you won see maximum power all the time, just in very short peeks in the music.

Batteries mainly help when the engine is off. But I'm thinking about wiring in a 2nd battery justfor my amp to see what happens. Just get the highest capacity or reserve rating if the battery is gonna be running only your audio. Talk to ya more when I get off work.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
HoosierInk is on a distinguished road

OK, I ran into an issue with mine.... I have a first gen Blaze with the two wire pigtail...... the pic below is the pigtail from the donor truck. Any suggestions?