Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

How to change the license plate lights? Hint:194

Old 07-30-2017, 01:31 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default How to change the license plate lights? Hint:194

I wanted to pay it forward, so I thought I would start with an easy project. How to replace one of the two license plate lights on a 2003 Blazer two door 4 WD. If both are burned out, it may be a fuse, so check those first. There are no external screws, so get underneath and find the socket behind the bumper. Turn left one quarter turn and pull the socket out. Remove the old bulb by pulling straight out. Note it is part no. 194. I used my favorite Sylvania 194 LL for long life. Insert the new bulb into the socket. Then use some silicone grease on the rubber gasket. Wipe off any excess grease. Also wipe off the bulb if you got some grease on there. The bubble packs usually have two bulbs so you may want to be preemptive and replace both driver's and passenger side. This grease helps waterproof the socket and helps keep the gasket supple for the next R & R. Turn on the light switch and check the new license plate bulb. While you are at it, check all the bulbs. Remember the theory of 'Probable cause'!
For a complete list of all your bulbs, go to the Sylvania bulb guide aka Osram and they have a parts list of all your bulb requirements by year.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:12 PM

Okay, here is the Sylvania auto light guide. They also go by Osram, so don't let that throw you. You first put in your SUV make and model info and then go for interior or exterior lights. The end result is a part no. you can take to your favorite auto parts dealer and get a bubble pack.

https://www.osram-americas.com/en-us...s/lrgmain.aspx

Old 08-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Beginning Member
JTWard is on a distinguished road

That's good info, I went with Sylvania LED Premium 'White' one set, they cover all of the small bulbs 168,194, and 2825. Really light up the back bumper license lights. And they last for 20.000 hours.

Last edited by JTWard; 08-12-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:42 AM

JT, thanks for the feed back. I like to think that I have begun a 'rolling restoration' for my beloved '03 two door Blazer. I also did an upgrade to my back up lights. I put in two Sylvania Zevo p.n. 3156 LED. I live in the country and backing out of my narrow drive in the dark is an adventure. A small LED light bar would be a better choice for really bright light, but the Zevo #3156 fits and looks like stock but provides much better vision to the rear. This bulb like many LED's has a built in heat sink. Editor's note: The caution on the bubble pack says 'for Off Road Use only'. So if you don't want to mount a LED light bar on the rear of your Blazer, try two of these LED's and see where you are backing!

Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 AM

More upgrades for my '03 Blazer. The headlights are easy to pull out. The stock side marker light bulb no. 194 Amber can then be accessed. Quarter turn and it is out. I replaced with a clear , not amber, no. 906 wedge bulb which replaces the stock 194 perfectly. The 906 is a 9 watt bulb as opposed to the weak 194 with less than 4 watts. The 906 has twice the watts but not so powerful it will melt the socket. I have had these installed for a couple of days and they are nice and bright and not burning up anything.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:03 AM

See my post no. 4 above. Here's where I got the idea for the LED reverse light replacing the stock lamps. Thanks to Blazen Red 4x4 for his write up and great photo's. See below his post no. 2 , IIRC.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/lighti...ht-rear-94441/