Lighting & Electrical Post your lighting and chassis/engine electrical questions here. Any audio/video questions should be posted in the 'Audio/Video Electronics' section.

Rear Glass Stuck Down Regulator Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 07:24 AM
Dwolf is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Glass Stuck Down Regulator Cable

The other day my rear glass crapped out on my 1988 k5 350 small block. I put the window down and couldn't get it back up the sound of the motor was noticeably different than the usual operation. I knew something was up so i took off the panel on the tailgate and found that my regulator cable was completely sheard off the window motor connection.

I spent the next day removing the tailgate from the truck and trying to find a thread that tells me how to move the glass to the upmost position. So far i have come up empty and have a feeling the only way to get it up is with my regulator cable operating normally. is there anyone out there that has encountered this issue. Do i need to fab something out to a drill or something in order to get my glass back up. I have zero access to the other side of the regulator cable or even the regulator itself. The window is 100 percent down. I have the cable and most of the tailgate taken apart I'm just stuck.

Any help is greatly appreciated

​​​​​​​

Old 03-31-2018, 08:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why, but both of your posts so far have been caught by our spam filter for some reason. I have approved this thread and will try to figure out why it is happening if it continues.

As far as your rear window issue, I would not have removed the tailgate from the truck, rather just removed the access panel to get at the bolts that hold the lower sash to the regulator arms. From there you need to slide the window out just far enough to get at the motor and regulator transmission.

If the window track felt and/or the tracks themselves are worn, you may need to support the window to keep from bending the tracks. I like to use a block of wood on top of the window inside the tailgate to give it some extra support. It probably is a good idea to support it from the outside as well just to make sure that you do not bend anything or break the window.

Once the window is out of the way, you should have enough room to determine the failure and hopefully make repairs.