The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Mig Welding Wire

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Default Mig Welding Wire

I need to buy some new mig wire im using .023 size With Argon gas, I weld mostly thin sheet metal, Im not sure if i want to buy a Carbon steel wire, Or Stainless steel. Anyone have any input on what would be a better?

Has anyone ever used aluminum mig wire? I am wondering if it really works good or not? I was always told to tig aluminum

Old 05-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

OK ill chime in on this one i am a master certified welder
bump that wire up to .030 with a 75% 25% mix for better welds
your best bet is to tig aluminum Ive tried the MIG it way and it sucks
what MIG machine do u have>??
that wire is just MIG Solid wire.
if u have any more questions just pm me! im willing to help allways

Old 05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Starting Member
LowLife is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips, I am always glad to learn something new.

I use a 220v mig from Chicago electric "harbor freight" 30-160 amp gas welder, i had a Hobart welder that was permanently borrowed "i left my garage unlocked" , But all in all no complaints about this welder at all it works great, I had it for about 2 years.

I figured the aluminum mig wire would not work right, I was gonna buy a 2lb spool and try it, But now i know.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to try to weld aluminum with a MIG, you'll need to get a spool gun. You'll just make a bunch of rats nests if you are going to try to push aluminum wire through a MIG lead.

I use C25 (25%/75%) with ER70S-6 wire on mild steel. For fresh sheetmetal welds, I use 0.030". If I am welding old sheetmetal to new, I may drop down to my 0.024" wire, but I have burned through a few 10# spools of 0.030 and still have my original 2# spool of 0.024.

For heavier stuff, I'll use 0.045" flux core wire along with the shielding gas, but I only have a 140A 110v unit at my house. I have access to a 280A L-tec at dad's for the heavier stuff.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LowLife
Thanks for the tips, I am always glad to learn something new.

I use a 220v mig from Chicago electric "harbor freight" 30-160 amp gas welder, i had a Hobart welder that was permanently borrowed "i left my garage unlocked" , But all in all no complaints about this welder at all it works great, I had it for about 2 years.

I figured the aluminum mig wire would not work right, I was gonna buy a 2lb spool and try it, But now i know.
those r good basic rigs for around the house. just go to that 75/25 mix like both of us told ya and you will be fine
i use a Lincoln Electric Pro mig 180. i do a lot of custom exhaust work and love it no complains and for tig on the magna flow stainless systems i use a miller Syncrowave 250 DX . strait argon on that one! a good craftsmen band-saw and sawzaw

Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah welding MIG on aluminum really sucks! i'm a certified welder as well so I might can answer some questions as well.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member
xtr1c0 is on a distinguished road

It is possible to mig weld aluminum through a standard mig gun, however it is not ideal. with the equipment you have you are limited to about 1/8" thick base material ( not much thicker or thicker ) Straight argon gas is used. Aluminum filler alloy 5356 should be used over 4043 because it is stiffer and will feed better. If your mig gun has a teflon or nylon liner as an option that is preferred (less drag on wire) You are limited to .030" wire (as far as I know .023" aluminum wire is not widely available, if at all yet). Also, if the machine accepts a U-grooved drive roll (as opposed to v-groove or knurled) that is also recommended. You can preheat the base material with a slightly carborizing flame (more acetylene than a neutral flame which helps break up the aluminum oxide layer) which will allow a lower profile weld. Keep the mig gun as straight as possible and if the gun is longer than 12' than you can forget everything I just said 'cause no longer than a 10 foot gun is recommended. If you are goimg to try this then I suggest only buying a 1# spool of wire so you're not out that much in case you don't like the results. Good luck.