Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

So I got Lasik...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 09:14 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road
Default So I got Lasik...

I got Lasik this past Friday morning and I gotta say I don't regret it at all. I'm still healing as I type this, but for the first time in my life the other night I was able to read text on the TV without corrective lenses. It's an utterly indescribable feeling.

I di a lot of research and some of the horror stories almost put me off getting the procedure done, but there were so few cases that went wrong in comparison to people who had immediate and life changing results. I got PRK lasik which takes longer to heal but is safer to have in my profession, and while I'm extremely sensitive to light and the eye drops schedule is as major hassle (I took a couple weeks off work to accommodate it), I can tell already when this is done healing I'll have perfect 20/20.

Any of you guys on the fence about this procedure, feel free to ask me. For the record, I'm 31 years old and my prescription has been stable the past few years which is why the surgeon went ahead and okay'd it. I have heard of peoples eyes getting worse as they age even after this surgery, but IMO that's just genetics and time and there is no real fighting that.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I had PRK done to both eyes back to back within 30 minutes of each other almost 15 years ago. Prior to that I was legally blind without corrective lenses due to a bad astigmatism. As of my last eye doctor exam, I am still 20/15 in my right (dominant) eye and 20/25 in my left eye. What was the most stunning part of it all is that they were able to correct for the vision aberrations that I had (halos, stars, etc). I can remember on the ride home after the procedures that night, I could call out the make of cars based solely on the headlight outline which was something I never could do prior to that due to light source halos & stars that I would always see for the prior 25 years of my life. I can only imagine that the technology & procedures have improved tremendously over the past 15 years.

I'm there with you that this was one of the single best things I ever went through from a quality of life standpoint.

Even after 15 years, I still try to find my glasses sometimes when getting up in the middle of the night...

Old 09-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I had PRK done to both eyes back to back within 30 minutes of each other almost 15 years ago. Prior to that I was legally blind without corrective lenses due to a bad astigmatism. As of my last eye doctor exam, I am still 20/15 in my right (dominant) eye and 20/25 in my left eye. What was the most stunning part of it all is that they were able to correct for the vision aberrations that I had (halos, stars, etc). I can remember on the ride home after the procedures that night, I could call out the make of cars based solely on the headlight outline which was something I never could do prior to that due to light source halos & stars that I would always see for the prior 25 years of my life. I can only imagine that the technology & procedures have improved tremendously over the past 15 years.

I'm there with you that this was one of the single best things I ever went through from a quality of life standpoint.

Even after 15 years, I still try to find my glasses sometimes when getting up in the middle of the night...

That's actually super relieving to hear. I have/had bad astigmatism too which they corrected though I can't really tell yet. The astigmatism really impacts my shooting though and I just had to get something done about it. How long did it take you to see stably? I'm on day two and my vision keeps focusing on and out. I know PRK takes longer but I'm just so restless. Can't read. Can't use my computer or game. Can't go outside or exercise. I know this is only temporary but it's driving me nuts right now because I'm an active person.

I also got both eyes done, whole procedure was like 12 minutes, barely had enough time to flirt with the very cute surgeon.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:00 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I would LOVE to get lasik, I've been wearing glasses or contacts since I was 15 and I'm 32 now. But every year my prescription changes just a little, so I'm sure a surgeon wouldn't approve the procedure just yet...

Always good to hear promising stories of the procedure though, keeps my hopes up

Old 09-09-2019, 05:11 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I had LASIK at least 15 years ago. I was blind as a bat before I had it (contact lens prescription was -9.00) and I was 20/15 in both eyes afterward. In the last couple of years, I've started needing glasses for driving and watching TV, but that's the only times I wear them. I think it's more because of my age (mid 50s) than any flaw in the procedure itself.