Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Steve Jobs Apple CEO Dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Starting Member
btmbass is on a distinguished road

If he never returned to apple lithe company probably wouldn't exist. They were ear bankrupt when he took over again

Old 10-07-2011, 08:21 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by oktain
I still maintain that had it not been for Jobs, that iPhone you may or may not be holding in your hand reading this wouldn't be as cool as it is if it weren't for him. SO many of his ideas are what shaped Apple as a company, and their products. I actually thank him because if it weren't for his iPhone (which I don't own) my Android wouldn't be as "Incredibly great" as it is.
Great . well, THINKING minds!
Originally Posted by machausta;TCCOA
Boy.. that is PERFECTLY on the money.

TNT preempted regular programming to show the Jobs TV movie last night. It was interesting in that it was half true.

Gates was a backstabbin sum***** on the Windows issue.. except evidently someone in standards and practices at the studio thought they ought to throw in a kernel of truth.

Gates to Jobs parting shot when Jobs found out MS was actually loading Windows On NEC PC's while Mac was being announced:

"So.. let's get this straight. You're pissed off because our neighbor, Xerox, went away and you were gonna go to his house and steal ****. But I got there and stole it before you did.. is that what you're saying, Steve?"

And that is exactly what happened.

Look at it this way, though. Gates also screwed Digital Research out of the IBM OS contract, because Gary Kildall got nervous and went fishing instead of making his appointment with IBM, WHO CAME TO HIM! .. so when IBM asked Gates if he could build an OS, he said sure.. and had his geeks pretty much pirate Kildall's CP/M 80.
Then Gates outfoxed IBM because they thought their lawyers had sewed the 'sole use/non-compete' contract up .. and Gates had a loophole that allowed him 'limited use'.

And THAT, kids is how we have all these goodies today.
Neither Apple or Microsoft really 'invented' anything. Although for practical purposes Outlook, MS Access and SQL Server come damn close.

Xerox pretty much invented all the stuff we needed {including ethernet} and didnt have a clue what to do with it.
You see.. Xerox managed and marketed by consensus {pretty much Russian style committees} and they were convinced the applications were very much limited to high end corporations.
PARC (company) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It takes strong willed bastards like Gates and Jobs to git'er done.