The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

What were you doing 8 years ago today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:49 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

wlorton, you do remember that the attack on pearl harbor is recognized every year right? Perhaps not as some of us vets would like it to be. Myself when this happened I was watching the news in my house as I usually did before I went to work. Shortly after arriving at work our boss called us and told us to pack it in and go home, he just didn't feel right making money on a day like that with which I totally agreed. BTW I graduated from Meridian High, Meridian Idaho in 1994.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:51 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

The wife & I were driving from Searchlight NV into Las Vegas. The thing I'll never forget as we came off the hill on 580 headed towards the 215 it was eerie quite. Las Vegas was just still, hardly any traffic stores were empty. Just quite.
I graduated high school in 1961.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Beginning Member
Confuused69 is on a distinguished road

Sitting in class. Watched the second plane hit the tower. Watched as a girl in my class was taken out because her uncle worked there. It was pretty crazy. I remember everything I did that day.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:51 AM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AJBert
I was asleep (it was around midnight) in my rack inport Darwin, AU. We pulled out the next morning and headed to the Norther Arabian Gulf.

Shorty thereafter, I had the great honor to see multiple US Navy warships firing multiple missiles into Afghanistan.
A good friend of mine was on the deck of a Carrier and watched a sub night launch missles into Afghany too.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member
tetricyde is on a distinguished road

I was in 7th Grade English Class... They Locked Down Our School and had the TVs on in each class... We watched the Second Plane Hit Tower #2... Alot of us thought it was a fluke at first.. I personally thought it was just a preview for a new movie coming out... Shortly thereafter we had an Anthrax Incident and the school was locked down again a few weeks later.... Pretty crazy year... some kid brought some flour in a drill bit tube and thought it would be funny....

Crazy how you remember such a big event so well... but honestly i couldnt remember anything else from that year of school....

Old 09-13-2009, 04:27 AM
Beginning Member
Jaxxon is on a distinguished road

I was living in the UK at the time. I had just completed my one and only job for the day and was parking up at home when a friend of mine called me and said that a plane had hit the WTC. We had a laugh and said it was some guy on a lesson that took the wrong turn. As I turned on the TV it was showing the first tower in flames, then I watched the second plane hit. I just stood there in complete shock not knowing really what to think. We have had many bombs go off in the UK with the IRA causing as much damage and death as possible but nothing like this, nothing that caused as much mayhem at one time. I have since found out that a friend of mine Dad and Uncle was in the second tower when the plane hit, they have never been found.
You ask why this act is remembed more? It's not that others are remembed less it's just this one was watched by so many, many saw the second plane hit live. We have seen loads of film taken by members of the public. We watched the towers crumble live. It all happened as the world was watching. Not only was this USA Tragedy but it was a world tragedy.

The question use to be "What was you doing when Kennedy was shot?" Now it's "What was you doing when the Trade Centre was hit?"

Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I was locked down tight in rehab sitting in group counseling when the Doctor on duty came in and turned the TV on and informed us that all sessions were canceled for the day.