Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Industrial Road

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:02 PM
Starting Member
ejschultz is on a distinguished road
Default Industrial Road

So I decided to go off road tonight. There's a closed road around here called Industrial Road. Although it is closed, there are signs posted that say "Travel at your own risk." It is roughly 1/2 of a mile long. I do have a little bit of a history with this particular road. I decided to travel down it one night a couple of winters ago with my old 91 S10 (RIP). Well, all of the dips that are on it were flooded and frozen, at least I thought. I made it about halfway through with the ice crackling under my 215/75R14 car tires. Well, finally it happened; I fell through. I had to call a tow truck to come out there and attempt to help. When the guy finally got out there, there was no way at all he could get his truck within 200 feet of mine. He ended up hooking up an extra cable to he one already attached to his winch. He was able to get just enough to reach the rear axle of the truck. He almost pulled the tow truck into one of the ice filled pits trying to save mine. We finally got it out. Now, living in Indiana, I've developed some hillbilly tendancies. I had a personal vendetta out for Industrial. Tonight I finally conquered it. I took my 4 wheel drive Jimmy out there (only the 2 wheel drive works). At first the road is pretty much hard packed gravel with lots of pot holes. Then it becomes a loose dirt/sandy road with many large dips. I now understand why my S10 failed. I made it through one way with no issues whatsoever. I turned around at the end to go back and decided to see if I could do it any faster. That ended up being a not-so-good idea. At first I had no issues, then I hit a rather large dip and launched the Jimmy about 6 inches to a foot into the air. At least that's what the landing made it feel like. I slowed down a little after that and completed the journey trouble free. I may decide to fix my 4 wheel drive so next time I can do it when it's wet and muddy and have some real fun.