Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

offroad lights w/clearance lights (what is this?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Starting Member
Bad Attitude is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
got another question that pertains to this. im looking at getting 4 130watt lights. my question is am i going to be able to run it off of 1switch (im thinking of using a factory fog light switch out of a junker) or this gonna be to much for 1 to handle. i know there is going to have to be at least 1 relay maybe 2

Just use a good relay setup and run the power direct from the battery and make sure you use a good heavy duty cable with seperate fuses for each light and it should be fine

Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Nope not looking to sale.

X2 on the relay

Old 01-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bad Attitude
Just use a good relay setup and run the power direct from the battery and make sure you use a good heavy duty cable with seperate fuses for each light and it should be fine
couldn't i pair 2 lights on the same circuit. so 2 lights per 1 fuse or is that gonna have to many amps for 1 fuse

Old 01-09-2010, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Check my write up.
I wired the lights in pairs allowing for a relay to each switched pair & wired directly off the battery using a 40amp fuse (all lights are on the same fuse with no problems).
With 4 x 130 watt lights you'll need to go to 60amp or you'll blow fuses.
And as has been said, make sure the wiring can cope with all that power. Don't want to melt the wires. You know what will happen then!

With the switches, the RHD trucks are set up differently in that the aux/dome light switch has space that can be stolen for additional switches. You'll have to come up with something different to maintain that 'stock' look on the LHD trucks.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
Check my write up.
I wired the lights in pairs allowing for a relay to each switched pair & wired directly off the battery using a 40amp fuse (all lights are on the same fuse with no problems).
With 4 x 130 watt lights you'll need to go to 60amp or you'll blow fuses.
And as has been said, make sure the wiring can cope with all that power. Don't want to melt the wires. You know what will happen then!

With the switches, the RHD trucks are set up differently in that the aux/dome light switch has space that can be stolen for additional switches. You'll have to come up with something different to maintain that 'stock' look on the LHD trucks.
alright ill check it out some more. what do you think as far as gauge wire should it be? and what if i took 2 of the stock fog light switches and turned them so they were vertical. i think there would be enough room to cut it out of the existing panel

Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Not sure the gauge wire I used, I had a sparky friend prep the wiring for me. I simply installed it.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:45 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

i just got a pair of lights with the wiring and relays already with them and a fancy wiring guide and I did a little bit of my own wiring along with the guides. I have all 4 of my lights running to 1 switch you just have to wire all the lights together to go to the relay. You will need a bigger fuse than what the kit comes with since you are using twice the power. and I'm sure you can buy like locking hinges or something to mount the lights on so that if you want them down you can flip them down. I'm trying to figure out a way I can have like an automatic light cover so when they aren't on they are covered but when they are on the covers come off. mainly because the cops in my neighboring township are out to get me with my lights... still haven't got fined yet thou.

and what I would do about the clearance lights is relay them to your headlights so they automatically come on when your light sensor turns on all of your lights and the lights that are in your dash but if you wanted to you could just run a switch to manually turn them on. that wouldn't be so good for me because I've already left my roof lights on a couple times and came out to a dead battery...

Last edited by Benedict1337; 01-13-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
i just got a pair of lights with the wiring and relays already with them and a fancy wiring guide and I did a little bit of my own wiring along with the guides. I have all 4 of my lights running to 1 switch you just have to wire all the lights together to go to the relay. You will need a bigger fuse than what the kit comes with since you are using twice the power. and I'm sure you can buy like locking hinges or something to mount the lights on so that if you want them down you can flip them down. I'm trying to figure out a way I can have like an automatic light cover so when they aren't on they are covered but when they are on the covers come off. mainly because the cops in my neighboring township are out to get me with my lights... still haven't got fined yet thou.

and what I would do about the clearance lights is relay them to your headlights so they automatically come on when your light sensor turns on all of your lights and the lights that are in your dash but if you wanted to you could just run a switch to manually turn them on. that wouldn't be so good for me because I've already left my roof lights on a couple times and came out to a dead battery...

clearance lights are done and hooked up on a separate circuit but are controlled with the factory parking switch. i think im gonna build a bracket that can have a quick disconnect. when i get it started ill start a build thread