Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Very stupid offroading!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Very stupid offroading!

If you didn't drive the truck with the tranny full of water, and then had it flushed out via the machine, you should be alright. The machine flush will pump all the water/tranny fluid out of the system. $65 is a good deal. Do it agian to make srue you got ALL the water out.

Vents tubes-
Rear axle runs up to the body over the axle. If you plan on doing this again, extend it to the engine comaprtment and place it as high up as possible on the firewall.

Tranny- has a small short vent tube on top. If the tranny was completely sumerged, the heat and cold water will cause the tranny to suck in, if that hose is below water level, it sucks water. Extend that one up into the engine compartment as well.

T-case- has 3 hoeses hooked up to it in one place and one hose in teh back.
1 hose provides vacuum to the t-case, comes from teh back side of the intake manifold next to the distriburator.
One hose takes that vacuum and runs it up to the vacum actuator located next to or under the battery tray. This engages the front axle when you engage the 4x4 system.
One hose is a vent line. it ahs a tee fitting and pciks up that vent line off the back of the t-case. It end next to the vacumm actuator.
If oyu have water in your t-case, you either burried the passengers side of the engine under water, or you have a leak in the vent line. All three of these hoses run up next to the tranny dipstick tube, and they are held to the top tranny bellhousing bolt with a bracket. Dont go wanking on them to move them out of the way, they are anchored. Getting the bolt off is fun. I can tell you how best to do it, however it will cost you a beer.

Front diff- has a vent line that runs up behind one of the head lights. Drivers I think.

The major problem with suicking in water though the intake is the high possibility of bending a vavle stem, or cracking a piston rod. Water doesnt compress. PERIOD. You may get lucky an blow the spark plug out the block, but dont count on it. Sounds like you may have gotten lucky, and the MAS/MAF sensor saved your bacon. I highly suggest two things for the future.

1) Take a buddy who also ahs a 4x4 and both of you need to have proper tow points and know how to use a strap. See link below.
2) If you intend to venture into water/mud that deep again, install a snorkle (home made, no on makes one for our trucks), bring WD-40 to clean the distriburator cap, and have fun.

Heres that link

Old 12-02-2006, 07:17 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: ceanern

I've seen where ppl recomend changing all fluids, oils, tranny fluids, filters Just to be on the safe side. Espically if it sat there for a while. Better safe than sorry.

Excellent words of advice!!!!!!

Old 12-03-2006, 12:24 AM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm gonna have to look into redoing some of my vent lines.

Old 12-03-2006, 01:14 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with the guys above, change the front and rear diff fluids. These trucks actually aren't all that bad for going through water if you can keep traction. The group that i run with has had a few guys hydrolock at certain points, but within 20 minutes or so, everything's good to go. Leaving the truck in the water for an extended period of time should be a last resort. That's when you run into trouble with getting water in every little crevace.

My old blazer:

Old 12-03-2006, 05:38 AM
sledneck16 is an unknown quantity at this point

<----is that why its your OLD blazer? lol.....yea i've been that deep before too--unless you're lifted......

but yea definetly at the very least check your fluids for water.....it should not mix with any important fluids in our truck so if you drain the fluid into a clean container and look closely you should be able to put it back in if its good--it also never hurts to just totally change the fluids...

Old 12-03-2006, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

wow!! now that's some serious water!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
barsy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

uhhhhh i dont even know what to say... your screwed, need a new engine, you might get the old one working but it will be way more work and probably be more money than to just buy a new one, hey its a good excuse to upgrade to a small block to.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:26 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

far from it. don't take much to drain the fluids and what not. If anything possibly need sensors. If that. one nice thing about having elcetronics but at the same time having it stinks is once it gets wet usually it will shut **** down before there can be any damage done.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
surferbarnes is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not trying to be an **********, but lesson learned? Never go off roading alone (only 1 vehicle) it is too dangerous brother, especially now a days. Good thing that you are alright.

edited for language - hillbilly

Old 03-14-2007, 01:45 AM
mx416 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: sledneck16

<----is that why its your OLD blazer? lol.....yea i've been that deep before too--unless you're lifted......
JIGG has a ZR2 now, I believe his brother is driving that blazer now?