Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Differences in 97 and 98+?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 AM
rentzm63b is on a distinguished road
Default Differences in 97 and 98+?

Hey, I'm a new member here, so I apologize if this is an obvious question or whatever, or if it's in the wrong area.

Anyways, I'm just wondering what are the main differences in a 1997 blazer (or Jimmy) and a 98 or later? I know the headlights and whatnot up front are different, but in searching, I also found out that the core support is different, so I'd need a new one of those if I wanted to convert to a 98 or later. Another thing I noticed is that most bull bars I see are listed for a 98 or later. So, is there a difference in that area of the truck too? Would those bull bars not bolt up to my 1997 Jimmy as they would to a 1998 Jimmy, or Blazer?

Just curious as to what all Chevy changed between these model years. If there's a thread somewhere on the difference between all the model years, that would be cool.

FYI, I've got a 1997 Jimmy SLS 2-door. And again, sorry if this post is in the wrong area or an obvious question. I've never had or worked with Blazers before, and I just purchased mine two days ago...

Oh, and better yet, what parts can be swapped for the 98 or later, or 2000 or whatnot, simply by bolting them up to my truck? i.e. brake calipers, rear calipers vs. drums, interior trim pieces, etc. I know, I'm asking a lot

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by rentzm63b; 08-14-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:32 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

There's a ton of things that changed between 97 and 98. I THINK you can change to the newer front end, but you need to change pretty much everything. If you want to change to the newer calipers you need to change everything including rotors, hubs, and the backing plates that the hubs and calipers mount to (I'm sure there's a different name for this but I can't remember it right now). It can all be found from the wreckers. As well, while you have everything apart you may as well check and possibly replace your ball-joints and CV axle shafts depending on wear.
For the rear axle, to change from drums to disc brakes you need to basically pull the whole axle shaft, and even then I'm not sure that you can just bolt up the new mounts. It would be a lot easier to just find a complete axle from a newer model with discs and the same gear ratio as what you have now and swap in the axle. Then you only need to change the park-brake cable.