Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

liftgate convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road
Default liftgate convert

97 blazer 4dr 4wd. I decided that since both the shocks on my liftgate are blown out and bout to fall out due to rot, I want to convert it to a tail gate. It has to be possible, everything is possible, I was just wondering if anyone else has done this or if they know anything about how to do this?

if this is in the wrong spot, my apologies. I figured since its modification/body work it could fit in this section.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

We should probably have a "Fabbing" section lol.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

I wondered if you could do this to a Tahoe or Yukon, take the barn doors out and put the tailgate/liftgate in in its place. ('96-99) I think the barn doors ruin the lines and look ugly

Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i would imagine you would have to weld in all the hinges and brackets into your ride.
reinforce and then run with it.

if you have the whole lift gate system where the whole rear gate swings up, i would think there is plenty of reinforcement there for the tailgate system.

would have to measure alot to make sure you get it square and sealed up tight.

i smell a "massive how to" cooking..... go for it and take tons of pics.
been curious about this mod myself.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Starting Member
Senshi09 is on a distinguished road

So I was looking through a few magazines and some pictures over google. Im thinking a way to do it, could possibly be by getting a tailgate off a S-10, fab up some mounts for it. But then that leaves the rear window. Might just leave the rest of the frame on the back, like around the window so it still functions like it should. BUT i'd have to figure out a way to be able to seal the window onto the tailgate and latch it. Maybe I can possibly just transfer the latch to the tailgate?

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
We should probably have a "Fabbing" section lol.
Yes, I agree 100%

Originally Posted by nineTnine
I wondered if you could do this to a Tahoe or Yukon, take the barn doors out and put the tailgate/liftgate in in its place. ('96-99) I think the barn doors ruin the lines and look ugly
I agree that it does make it look ugly. Not a smart move by GM at all. Im not sure if you can swap it for a liftgate, since my neighbor has a yukon and it literally dwarfs my blazer, it might not be wide/high enough to work. But you could always add more sheet metal to it if needed to make it fit.

Last edited by Senshi09; 08-15-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Starting Member

Didn't mean to thread-jack or anything, but I guess I should've elaborated a little. The Tahoe/Yukon could have either come with barn doors or a tailgate with a glass liftgate (which is ridiculously rare on a 4-door) and I always wondered what it would take to swap them. Similar concept, different vehicle.
From this:

To this:

I know the hinges would pose a problem, going from outside to inside the body and hooking up the struts

Last edited by nineTnine; 08-15-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Fix photo
Old 08-16-2011, 12:23 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Ugh, I hate barn doors. Hubbys Burban has them and I hate looking out of them.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Starting Member

I just think they are hideous. They divide the rear view and can't have a wiper. They just ruin the flow. With the gate, it's a big, square Blazer with a V8

Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

I know in my town, there's a greenish 95-97 Blazer 4 door that has a tail gate+ glass liftgate. Seeing this, and then seeing my complete liftgate hatch, I assumed that the 95-97 did infact come with tailgates, no?

-OSS

Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

THIS THREAD goes through it quite well although it is missing some pictures. I'm sure that some members with both tailgate & liftgate types could post pictures of the windows, structure, etc for you.

You'll basically be cutting off the whole back end of your truck to fab in the donor pieces. The side glass surround is different. As is the body in the entire rear entry area as it was necessary to build it heavier to support the whole liftgate.