Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

molding the roof?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Beginning Member
FirePhage is on a distinguished road
Default molding the roof?

Heres the idea...I want to make something that will be contoured to the interior of the roof of my Blazer in the rear, over the cargo area. It will be held up by the stock molding in the back corners and the molding just in front of the rear side windows. That part is easy enough to figure out. I intend to use fiberglass, or perhaps some kind of plastic (lots of recycled milk jugs, or maybe many coats of spray on bedliner, if it's ridgid enough).

The biggest obstacle I have at the moment, is making a proper mold of the interior roof area. I do not want to cut my headliner up. I just want to make a piece that will overlap the unmodified headliner.

Now if I could flip my truck over on its roof- this would be cake- but I cant, sooooo... The only idea I can think of, is covering the headliner with a sheet of plastic and then building a "table" in the cargo area that is as wide and long as the area I want to mold, and as close to the roof as possible. Then filling the remainder of the void space with expandable foam. Once it cures, I should be able to remove the table, and pull out a fairly accurate negative mold, right?

My question is, can anyone think of an easier/cheaper way of doing this? That expandable foam is expensive as hell.

And for the curious, I want to make this as a mount for an audio amplifier, and maybe a couple fishing poles. This would allow me to bump down the road, and have my fishing gear ready at all times without taking up cargo floor space.

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

While you may not be able to flip the truck on its roof, you could just pull the headliner out and flip it over. It would be a lot easier (and cleaner, I would think) than trying to use expanding foam.

For something as heavy as an amp, you may have to cut into the headliner in order to securely attach it to the sides of the roof. The plastic molding in front of the rear windows has the bolts for the seatbelts but other than that, all the other molding is held on with plastic tabs/clips. Not sure it would be strong enough to hold an amp and fishing gear

Another option would be cutting a recessed 'trunk' into the rear floor board like this member did; LINK