Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Roof Rack & Tire Carrier Removal & Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
BIGGER_HAMMER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Roof Rack & Tire Carrier Removal & Install

Hey All,

I'm new here.

Just lucked into a 95 blazer 2 door 4X4 and I'm doing some renovations to the old girl.

The roof rack and swing away rear tire carrier are pretty oxidized and beat looking.

I'd like to remove them, refinish with truck bed liner and then reset them on the truck.

I have the Torx sockets for the roof rack and spare tire carrier, but I've held off on pulling them off until I get some important information.

Do these Torx Screws have "free nuts" at the back?? Or are the mounting points affixed to the body panels?

(A) if I remove the roof ract torx, will the mounting nuts fall backwards / down to the headliner? or can I do the refinish then reset and rescrew the rack back up there?

(B) Similar question on the Swing Away Rear Tire Carriers... If I remove the Torx screws that secure it to the body, are there loose nuts that will fall down into the quarterpanel or are the nuts internally attached to the quarterpanel so all I have to do is remove the torx, remove the carrier, refinish the carrier, then remount it.

This is my first Project for this little truck, but I have lots of lovely Chevy memories of wheeling in my 75' open top K5 Blazer.

THANKS to any and all for your help on this.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Old 11-09-2008, 08:54 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Roof Rack & Tire Carrier Removal & Install

The nuts are fixed to the body for both the roof rack and the tire carrier. I would also replace the bushings in the tire carrier while you have it off.