Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Need help with front diff

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by p_m_clean
not exactly sure what it is but i would start by jacking it up and checking your cv axles and also check to see how much play there is on the shafts that go into the front diff. If they move up and down a bunch your bearings are probably shot but there may be other issues as well

I also have a question. I have a lot of play in my shafts and know my bearings are shot. I have found kits that come with the bearings for around 150 I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these diffs I dont want to put money into it if they tend to need a full rebuild. I am at 165k 4x4 is in good working shape and i plan to use the car as my daily and use 4x4 as needed if snow and I will also probably do a little light wheeling a few times a year, any suggestions?
I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the repair bearing kit? If so, I have two repair bearings in the rear because my axle's were chewed up. So yes, they do work great if that is what you are talking about.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
p_m_clean is on a distinguished road

Im talking about the bearings in the front differential, my drivers side stub axle that my cv bolts to moves up and down much more then it seems like it should, and the seal is totally shot. I have read a few things about just replacing the bearing and seal and calling it good but I dont want to do the work to just have it go out a year down the road, I found a new one on ebay for 300 bucks +100 shipping, and the bearing kit is around 100 bucks

and suggestions