Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear end clunking

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone, so i was driving yesterday and noticed a harsh clunking coming from the rear left wheel....it only happened when i was slowing to a stop or accelerating from a stop but all under 20mph. Anyway i got home and parked the thing and called the local service shop to make sure i could take it in. Well, today driving it to the shop (3 miles) it got noticeably worse.

It was doing the same clunking behavior except now when accelerating from a stop it takes the rear left wheel maybe 20-50ft before it even begins to provide power. Which is kind of a problem on michigan roads because one wheel on ice doesn't do jack squat.....but after about 20-50ft it would harshly kick in.

Well i made it to the shop but im worried about what it might be....we've put about $8k into this blazer and idk how much more money we are gonna throw at it....if it were my decision it would be whatever ti takes but its not...

Does anyone have a clue what could be wrong with it? Its a 2001 blazer ZR2 4WD

Heard back from the shop and said it felt like to them it was the rear brakes locking up...I'm not convinced

Heard back again they pulled the wheels and said the rear left caliber was missing one bolt and the other was sheared off....also the pads were missig their hardware. Does anyone know If this is an easy fix or not?

Last edited by TripleBlackBlazer; 01-09-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts - Use the EDIT function if no one has replied to your last post.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:42 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like some new bolts and hardware will do the trick unless the caliper is seized. Even then a new caliper isn't all that bad. Hardest part would be bleeding the brakes when you're done.

I'd be more concerned with why/how the bolts and hardware disappeared in the first place. Have you had any work done to it lately?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:27 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

We redid the brakes and replaced the caliber mounts however that was back in the fall I'm not sure why it would just be happening now

Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

IF they weren't properly torqued down to the right settings, it could've taken a week or a couple months to loosen enough to the point they are now. I believe WolfPack had a similar issue not too long ago.

Here's his issue = CLICK