Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Suggestions? Lift? Suspension? Anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
redhotxoxo96 is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions? Lift? Suspension? Anything else?

Any suggestions on what I should do to my 1990 S10 blazer? I really want some lift. But I don't knowww for sure. And maybe some bigger tires. What have y'all done to your blazer(s)? Images would be great, advice is great too!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Take a look around the builds section you will see all kinds of mods and pics there!

Old 09-23-2013, 06:07 AM
truc.karl is on a distinguished road

If you're planning to make your S-10 a fun, off-road machine, getting a suspension lift kit is the way to go. You may find several suspension lifts on the market like on this page - Suspension Lift Kits up to 30% Off and as far as I know Superlift and Trailmaster have the right kit for your rig. And if you are on a budget, installing a body lift kit is the cheapest way to lift your S-10 and have extra space for bigger set of tires.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member
99blzr is on a distinguished road

There are pros and cons to the different options. If your Blazer is going to be a mall crawler you can buy 2" shackles for the rear and do a torsion bar tweak to gain about 1.5" inches in the front (don't exceed 1.5" t-bar crank or you WILL have front suspension/alignment issues). This is the cheapest way I know to lift the Blazer and should allow you to add 31x10.5 tires as long as you use stock 4x4 wheels or aftermarket wheels with the same offset as factory 4x4 wheels. Your looking at spending about $50-$75 for the shackles. Don't waste your money buying torsion bar keys for this option. You get the same result by simply tightening the t-bar bolts (read the how-to thread) and it doesn't cost you anything but a little time. This will definitely increase the firmness of your suspension which is a turn off for some.
If you want to spend a little more money and time to slightly improve the off road capability of your Blazer vs stock, you can purchase a 2" body lift which should also allow you to add 31x10.5 tires provided you maintain the factory wheel offset. This option leaves the factory suspension and ride intact so on-road performance is still pretty good. Some don't like this because of the gap that appears between the body and frame but they sell a gap guard to cover this if you want to spend the money. I think a 2" body lift will set you ack about $200-$250 plus the time to install.
You can also combine the two options above but do yourself a favor and remember NOT to crank your t-bars more than 1.5" max. If you do, it's only a matter of time before you have issues which lead to spending more money.
If you intend to use your Blazer for off-roading, do a suspension lift like the 2.5" Rough Country for about $425 plus the time it takes to install it. This gives you a little lift and allows you to maintain a similar feel to your factory suspension. Keep in mind that installing this lift is pretty involved and will take some time. It requires you to remove the front differential and cut one of the brackets off then replace it with a new one. It changes the angle of the front axle which decreases the stress on front end parts normally associated with lifting the front end. I just did this lift and wish I would have done this from the start. I would have saved time & money. I am much happier with the way my Blazer rides vs the t-bar crank.
I believe Rough Country also makes a 6" suspension lift but that suggests you are going to go with a larger 33x12.5 tire. If you have 3.42 gears (most Blazers do), I don't think you will be happy with the sluggish acceleration you will encounter due to the increased tire diameter. You can improve this by changing out the stock front & rear gears to 3.73 or 4.11 (I would go with 4.11 if it were mine). I think this lift is about $1100 dollars plus your time to install it.
If any of these options stretch your wallet or mechanical ability, it's not even worth discussing a solid axle swap (SAS) and rear spring over axle swap.
There are several threads on this forum discussing the different options, pro & cons. I strongly recommend that you do a search and invest some time up front to educate yourself about these. Then you can apply the solution that best fits your wallet, off-roading intentions, and ability to complete the installation.

Good luck!

**just noticed your Blazer is a 1990- I think you can also get a 3" body lift for your model.

Attached Thumbnails Suggestions? Lift? Suspension? Anything else?-image.jpg  

Last edited by 99blzr; 09-28-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Add note about 3" lift for older S10 Blazers (1994 & older)
Old 09-30-2013, 05:59 PM
sickman420 is on a distinguished road

Also, keep an eye out on Craigslist and the for sale section here and on other s10 forums. Usually you can find a used lift kit for a great price. I just scored a trailmaster 5" lift and the blazer it was on for 700 bucks. Also, trailmaster no longer makes their kit for our trucks. Only options now are rough country, superlift, and bds. Also, rough country has a 2" body lift for first gens for like 120 bucks, and a 3" for like 140.

Old 10-26-2013, 03:28 AM
dustinhxc is on a distinguished road

click on my build . 2.5" rough country suspension w 31x10.5" rules!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Beginning Member
Blazer2005 is on a distinguished road

I'm doing a 1.5" torsion bar crank and 1.5" shackles does
Anybody know how many turns I need for the torsion key
Bolts? Isent it 1 full turn and a half turn??? Plz help!

Old 01-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Beginning Member
99blzr is on a distinguished road

I think 1 turn= 1/4 inch

Old 01-14-2014, 06:49 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

^^^^yes
do it all together!!

Step one....torsion bar lift.
Step two...body lift.
step three...stand back and say to yourself...mmmmm just a little more
step four...suspension lift 5"
Step five....stand back and say damn...everyone bitches about getting in...add steps
Step six....notice mileage is in the crapper....then look at the 33"tires and say..mmm i can live with that
step seven...strong desire to re-gear axles.

That about covers the snowball effect of lifting.