Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

best tires for snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 PM
blazer_chick is on a distinguished road
Default best tires for snow?

so im going to be driving my blazer this winter. i work for a prison and have to be there no matter what even in level 3 snow. so im wondering, what would be the best tires for snow. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks. the tire size i need is 33 x 10.5'' with a 15 x8'' wheel.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by blazer_chick
so im going to be driving my blazer this winter. i work for a prison and have to be there no matter what even in level 3 snow. so im wondering, what would be the best tires for snow. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks. the tire size i need is 33 x 10.5'' with a 15 x8'' wheel.
Are you buying a dedicated set of tires for winter or do you want something year around with great snow traction for that type of tire?

If the tire is for year around, I would go with an all-terrain say a BFGoodrich a/t or the general grabber a/t is another good option.

If you are getting a set of dedicated winter tires for ice concerns, go with a studded snow tire. If for snow concerns go with a non-studded winter tire.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 PM

thanks for the reply. i'd really like to get some tires that look like off road tires but drive well on the highway. any suggestions on that? ill prolly go with the all season for now.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 AM
Vader is on a distinguished road

Goodyear Duratracs are very highly rated for snow. A ton of members of the local Toyota club run them and quite like them. The General Grabber AT2 tire also has the severe snow rating. I have a set of Kumho AT tires on mine right now and i quite like them.

Look for something that is siped. The thing about studs is it only increases your traction on ice. If your facing just snow, get the Duratracs. The advantage with them is they are studable, just like the AT2's.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:32 AM

thank you that was very helpful. i think im going to go with the general grabbers at 2

Old 10-31-2012, 01:01 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I say go with the Duratracs, I have them and cant be stopped in snow. They arent really a M/T tire but more of a very aggressive A/T. And they also perform very well off road. They Arent much more than the AT2's but definitely worth it. They also have a lot better tread life than the AT2's

Old 10-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I have the Goodyear Authorities which are kind of like the Duratracs but the cheaper version. They are winter rated with the little snowflake on them. I haven't got a chance to play with them in the snow yet but all other conditions they are great! I know they only come in limited sizes so if they don't have what your looking for I say go Duratracs!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM

so i just compared the general grabbers and the goodyear dura tracs on tire rack. looks like ill be going with the dura tracs. a little more money then the grabbers but they are rated better for the snow and ice. thanks so much for the help

Old 11-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Vader is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
I say go with the Duratracs, I have them and cant be stopped in snow. They arent really a M/T tire but more of a very aggressive A/T. And they also perform very well off road. They Arent much more than the AT2's but definitely worth it. They also have a lot better tread life than the AT2's
Ive read a ton of reviews on the Duratracs and tread life is reported as hit and miss. Some guys get 25,000k out of theirs, and some guys get 5,000k. I guess it depends on your application. Obviously on an F350 they will wear faster then a Blazer or a Toyota SUV. Overall the ratings are still pretty good for them. Being a severe snow rated tire they do have a softer compund which wears faster then a normal tire, so keep that in mind too.